Living Reef Led lighting

algy1943

Reefing newb
believe it or not my long awaited Led's are arriving today, as you know they are a lot more powerful than my 4x39w T5, so, do I build up the lights above to top of the tank and then gradually lower them to acclimatise everything in the tank to the additional power, if so how high above the tank would you think advisable?

Advice from anyone as a matter of urgency woud be appreciated

algy1943 :frustrat:

I would guess (because I have no experience with this) that you should start at the height of the depth of your tank. So if your tank is 20" deep then I'd start there. Twenty inches above the tank then lower it an inch or two every week or so.

At least this post will bump it up and maybe someone else will respond.
BTW details on the light and some pics would be great! Good luck.

The best way to go would probably do as duncan said but personaly I would just put them in where I wanted them permanently as I doubt anything would die from such a change unless they were already unhealthy.

I would guess (because I have no experience with this) that you should start at the height of the depth of your tank. So if your tank is 20" deep then I'd start there. Twenty inches above the tank then lower it an inch or two every week or so.

Hi Duncan, have just installed, not being sure how high above the tank have set it at 30cm, had a nightmare finding the joists to get good fixing, the heteractis Crispa seems happier.:bounce:

Attachments

• 016 new light resized.jpg
    016 new light resized.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Those are some good looking lights.

The easiest way to acclimate your tank to the light,is to start the new lights by just running them for 8 hours a day.Then after a week,start adding 15 minutes a day until your back up to the 10/12 hour mark.

Those are some good looking lights.

The easiest way to acclimate your tank to the light,is to start the new lights by just running them for 8 hours a day.Then after a week,start adding 15 minutes a day until your back up to the 10/12 hour mark.

Thanks Yote, how high off the tank do you think they should be, at the moment I have set them at 30cm?

I think 30 cm is fine -- that's about a foot for us guys on the other side of the pond! You can lower it gradually as Yote said if you want.

Thanks Sarah, I still work in feet and inches, what height would you suggest I stop at after acclimatising the tank to the lighting?

Allen o0o

I'd say around 10 inches.But leave them so you can raise tem when your working in the tank.

Thanks Yote, have now mastered the lighting modes, there great, love it when the dawn mode kicks in around 08:00, anyway, I have this coral think its an Acropora?
since ive had it a small pink crab has lived in it, can only see its claws when I feed the brine shrimp with garlic to the fish, as the shrimp get near the coral the pink claws grab for the shrimp, is this odd or what, have tried taking photos, see if you can make it out:bowdown:

Attachments

• 006 Acropora with crab resized 1.jpg
    006 Acropora with crab resized 1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 358
  • 005 Acropora with crab resized 2.jpg
    005 Acropora with crab resized 2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 350
  • 004 Acropora with crab resized 3.jpg
    004 Acropora with crab resized 3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 390

Sorry youv'e got me beat BTW?

Allen

BTW = by the way

It's not uncommon to find crabs living in SPS corals. They are really cool.

What type of crabs are they, have they got a shell, will they stay in the coral?
BTW lol, do you make your own RO water? do you think it would be economical for me to buy a RO unit when I only use around 20L a week, at the moment I'm buying RO at 22c per litre (15p), the settings on my new Led's are superb the way they change between daybreak, to daytime, to sunset, to moonlight is awsome.

Allen

Last edited:
They are a group of many species of crabs called acro crabs. They don't have a shell, and they will live their whole life in the coral. The coral provides them with a home, and in return they defend it against any potential predators.

I do make my own RO water. I think it's economical for anyone to own except people with nano tanks, maybe. And as we went over before, the water you are buying has really high nitrates in it, right?

Those little acro crabs are cool.:D and are probably my favorite hitch hikers.
Thanks Yote, another question you may be able to help with, having now bought an RO unit and using IO Reef crystals, 2 things how long can RO water be stored for and how long can the mixed salt water be stored for?

really need help with this

Allen

You can store the water for several weeks. Just be sure to check the salinity of the salt water before you use it again -- it could have changed over time.

Back