Live Sand

tcarroll

Reefing newb
I got my tank up and running,just wondering if i made a mistake by putting live sand instead of crushed coral in it.Which is easier to maintain.?

Thank's

Tim

Thank's
well the next question is i bought a brand called Ocean direct and put it in the tank this morning,90 gallon.It is still cloudy,i have read a few reviews saying that from there experience with this sand it clouds up pretty easy.I hope not spent $100 for two bags.I am thinking it will clear up in a day or so.

Its very normal for the tank to be cloudy when adding sand. It will clear up within a day or two. Do you have any powerheads running? You can also try running carbon. It will help clear the water waster.

I have a thick layer of CC on the bottom of my tank topped with 40 lbs of LS and 40 lbs of DS. Seems to be working so far.

Sand is definitely a better choice than crushed coral. Not only does sand have better buffering capacity than crushed coral, but the pieces of crushed coral are also big enough that detritus and gunk gets trapped in it, which leads to nitrate problems. And thus, algae problems. That, and animals that dig or bury can't live in crushed coral.

If you put sand on top of crushed coral, the small-grained sand will eventually just make its way to the bottom of the tank, leaving the crushed coral on top, and you'll end up with the same problems as if you just used crushed coral.

It usually takes a few days for the water to clear up after adding sand.

Back