live sand storage

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
can live sand be store in any way to prevent die off over a couple months? A guy in my reef club is offering free live sand and I know he has lots of it.

carib sea sells those bags of livesand. not sure how long they stay good for but if you did something like that it may be ok for a while, but it would definately make me really nervous

When I upgraded from my 75 to the 125 I had to move the 75 1st. I took out all the sand (only 1"-2" deep) from the 75 and put it in a rubbermaid bin with a powerhead and heater. It was loaded with worms and pods. It sat in there about 2 weeks before I was ready to put it in the 125. When I started scooping it out to put in the new tank, it stunk so bad it was unbearable. I ended up thoroughly washing the sand in freshwater and then put it in the tank. So much for keeping my "live sand" alive.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.But I think that without something to "feed" the bacteria,it'll eventually die off.That why I dont buy the bagged live sand.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.But I think that without something to "feed" the bacteria,it'll eventually die off.That why I dont buy the bagged live sand.

i agree i do not think that that live baged sand is worth the extra money. unless you are buying real live sand that has just come out of a tank.

Back