live rock?

donlankford

Addicted Reefer
Ive been thinking about adding some live rock to my tank. Does anyone have suggestions on how much or what kind? Is there certain live rocks for certain types of corals? Any good readings about the the subject would be awesome too.

I know they say you want 1-2 lbs of rock per gallon of water. But you would only need to put one piece of live rock in there and there suppose to seed over to the dry rock. So if you want to save money then you can just get one piece of live rock and the rest dry. Also I just went to my lfs and got a piece of Fiji live rock for like $20 and then just bought 50 lbs of dry rock from Welcome to Reef Rocks! and only spent $85 dollars. Thats the best price I have found.

You need to make sure you cure the rock before you place it in an existing tank. It could cause the tank to cycle if you don't. Not good for a stacked tank. Since your tank is stocked, and you have LS in it, why not just find a nice looking piece of dry rock and use it? It will become live is no time and will not cause a cycle. (I assume you are talking about the tank in your signature? 29gal biocube?)

I don't know for sure about the "correct" rock for corals. I have placed my two pieces on shelf Vanuatu rock. (Relatively flat and in a good flow area) Its only been in the tank for about a week but it looks like it might be starting to grow.

There is no rock specifically for corals, but there are rocks you dont want to buy for a saltwater aquarium. I would stay away from rocks that arent originally based from the sea, like lava rocks. These rocks can leach out minerals that fuel algae growth or are toxic to inverts.

Back