live rock

It's ok to buy it over the Internet as long as you're using a reputable place. I bought all my LR on the internet.

Most live rock is really "mostly dead" rock.
By the time you get it, most of the good stuff has died off and more will die off after it gets in your tank.
Places like tampabaysaltwater (where all my rock came from) gets it out of the ocean sometimes less than 24hrs before they ship it to you, by freight, and you pick it up at the airport the same day. Now THAT is live rock. :D
Just because they show you some pictures on the internet of rock with purple stuff on it doesn't mean it's really all that live. Buy from a reputable place like biff mentioned.

I know it's expensive to buy live rock at the LFS but it gives you the advantage of personally selecting the rock you wish to use! I still don't know why it's so expensive. The only thing I can think of which is pretty dumb to state what's obvious is that there's live stuff in it. And you can get hitchhikers too. But if rock you get is mostly dead rock, then why is rock so damned expensive? I have a feeling that someone is going to answer me with something else obvious, haha. But anyways, reputable sites are nice to use. Websites should have a WYSIWYG for live rock. Would be kinda nice to buy select pieces and know what they look like.

It's a racket at most LFS. My two LFS sell live rock for $12 to $14 a pound. And there's nothing live on this rock but bacteria. It's just wet. No colors, no hitch hikers, nothing.

Back