Lighting

rdahlke1105

I'm a girl.
Ok I have been reading threads for a couple of months now and have gotten really confused on lighting options. I know there are T5's, HQI and MH's but I can't seem to figure out the differences in strengths. I know for certain corals you want stronger lights than others and I know that in some cases of corals you want the 20,000K. I'm just trying to figure out which of the lighting types put out which K.

Most people seem to say that generally you need about 3-4W per gallon to keep about any type of coral you would like. That’s what I have gone with, someone with more experience is sure to chime in soon.

The K rating you refer to is the color of the bulb. A 10K is more yellow, where as a 20K is way more blue. On a 75 like you have, you can go with either a 6 bulb T5 set-up, or MH. T5 will run cooler, and not effect the tank temp, where as the MH will increase your tank temp.

You have three choices to be unlimited for corals,anemones and clams.

6x54 T5-HO fixture with ndividual reflectors.
2x175w or 2x250w Metal Halides(HQI is a type of metal halides)
2 LED modules made for reef systems.

I think I do want to go the LED route since they don't put out the heat like the others. That and they are cheaper to run over the long run.

Back