lighting question

dapple

Salty Dog
Yet another question lol. So the setup I'm going with is FOWLR 55 g tank with reef Octopus HOB skimmer HOB refugium AND over time I am going to introduce softies anenomes kenyas etc. Should I go with a quad t5 led light or just get a full led light first thing. And won't the led model be easier on the power bill. I'm sorry I can't ever make up my mind . Ebay has my eyes right now. Lol. :shock:

Be wary of cheap chinese knockoff LED on ebay right now, the vast majority wont be able to keep anything other than soft corals and definitely not a nem. Go with the double bright, but the jury is still out on whether or not it can keep SPS or nems long term.

Also if you are going to introduce corals into the tank, you should plan it like a reef from the start.

Also, I dont know if a quad t5 lighting would be enough to keep a nem either, if you want to keep a nem, you should plan on going with a 6 bulb fixture.

Not sure if I gave my little speel about nems to you yet, but I dont recommend them for a tank under a year old. They require pristine water conditions, higher than average lighting and stability, most of these arent found in young tanks. They can be some of the more challenging animals to keep, especially once you get past the bubble tips. They can also nuke your whole tank if they die.

Back