lighting question

imdaring

love my reef
lighting question
OK I'm coming due to getting new bulbs right now I have
X2 65wt day bulbs and
X2 65 wt actinic

I'd like for my tank to get a pink glow on the corals and I was told that the blues in the lights make the tans and browns look pink??

So I was thinking about going with
X 2 95wt 50/50 combo bulbs and
X2 95 Wt actinic bulbs

What do you all think???

96 Watt 03 True Actinic Bulb

Regular Price: $39.99
Website Price: $29.99
You Save: $10.00 (25%)

Quantity:

The 96 watt 03 actinic provides excellent color enhancement in fish and inverterbrates as well as the proper spectrum for optimal photosynthesis in corals, anemones and live plants. Straight pin configuration.

96 Watt 50/50 Combo Bulb

Regular Price: $39.99
Website Price: $29.99
You Save: $10.00 (25%)

Quantity:

Have the best of both worlds. These 96 watt 50/50 bulbs combine both 12,000K daylight spectrums as well as 03 Actinic in one bulb. Straight pin configuration

You can't use 96w bulb on a fixture using 65w. bulbs.The ballast will not fire up the bulbs.

UV makes a 10k in VHO and T5 which has a pink hue to the daylight bulb.Those mix with actinics does make brownish corals look pinkish.The problem is I don't know for sure if their PC daylight bulbs will put the same color.

Personally,I would use all 50/50 bulbs...half daylight/half super actinic and daylight/blue.

Not really sure if you can change the wattage. was always told you had to stay with the size the fixture comes with. Maybe someone else will know for sure.

:question: OK but back to the question if I can't do 95 wt bulbs can I do
x2 65wt 50/50 and a
x2 65wt actinic

Or would doing that cut down the lighting on the day lights or would it give it the pinkish glow??

Last edited:
I"m not sure whatever you do will give you a pinkish hue.There just isn't many choices(color) when it comes to PC bulbs.Maybe 50/50 isn't the right word,maybe ''dual'' is better.Some bulbs that say 50/50 means the whole bulb is a mixture of daylight and actinic.I'm talking about the dual where one side is a daylight and other actinic.

TO answer your question,yes it will work but it seems to much actinic.

Here's an example of what I would consider////
Dual 10k/460nm x 2..........http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/204802/product.web
Dual 12k/super actinic(420nm) x 2........http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/Re...nic)_Powercompact_(Square_Pin)_by_UV_Lighting

Back