lighting question.

fishsticks

No clue about reefs
my room never gets light at all unless i turn my lights on, so how many hours should i leave my tank light on for?

i have a blue fluorescent light that cuts on at 11:45 am and cuts off at 8:15pm
and my white light the real light comes on at 12pm and cuts off at 8pm
the reason why my fluorescent cuts on first is to give it that sunrise sunset look....

so in total my true white light stays on 8 hours and my fluorescent blue light stays on 8 hours and 30minutes.

is this enough considering my room stays dark alot.

that is sufficient for coral. They really only need 3-4 hours a day to survive. The rest of the time is for our selfish pleasure.

-Doc

that is sufficient for coral. They really only need 3-4 hours a day to survive. The rest of the time is for our selfish pleasure.

-Doc
I agree with Doc , as long as the lighting is good lighting adequate for photosynthesis that is adequate to provide for the nutritional needs for survival the requirements are probably met by a few hours of light per day. Huh, what?
However, knowing what is adequate lighting intensity is difficult so typically 6 to 8 hours is pretty much the norm, plus it has been shown that for any long term survival lighting alone is insufficient for the nutritional needs of nearly all corals.
The hourly amount of lighting your providing is fine.

Back