lighting question

LOSTTAC

Reefing newb
how long should i run my lights. i have a 46 gallon bow tank and my light setup consists of 1@150 watt hqi (10000k)and 2@65 watt blue actinic compact fluorescent with lunar (coralife aqualight pro). tank been setup since november 17th 2007. fish load consist of 2 green chromis, 1 six line wrasse, couldn't resist knowing it needs at least a 75 gallon tank but 1 tiny yellow eye kole tang (size of a half dallor coin) . corals consist of 1 yellow toadstool and 1 trumpet coral (caulastrea) just added today (2/09/08). invert are 2 cleaner shrimp and an assortment of snails and hermit crabs. at mid night i change the timers to 10 hr for the hqi and 13 hr for the actinics where the actinic turn on 1 and a half before and after hqi. is this enough or too much light for my stock?

Last edited:
If your corals are doing fine and you don't have any algae issues than leave it the way you have them.The toadstool and especially the trumpet don't like intense lighting.Near the bottom and slightly shaded will help when under MH.

I agree with reeffreak. most people don't run their lights over 12 hours to cut down on algae growth. I keep mine on for 10 hours total.

thanks for the quick reply i really appreciate it. both coral are towards the bottom of the tank ill keep a close eye on them to see they react to their new enviroment. if algae starts to become an issue i can just reduce light time to mitigate the problem.

Back