light

DavidA717

Soon to be Reef Expert
i know that a 130watt compact flourescent is not much for a 30 gallon tank... but i have a few questions...

what kind of corals (if any) could i grow in a 30 gal. with this kind of light?

should i just graduate up to a 192watt?

and if i did, how much better would that be?

If at anytime you want to keep more than softys I would get the 192 watt fixture. With a 130 watt you could keep most all softy's if not all softys and some lps, however, you could keep alot more with the 192 watt light includung some anemones. Do you have anything specific that you want as far as corals go? I have the 192 watt and since my BTA died I have turned one of the lights off and everything is doing fine. I have zoa's, shrooms, GSP, xenia, ric's, and clove polyps all under 96watts in my 30 gal long.

I was thinking about some zoas and shrooms as well. I havent really decided on any kind of anemones because ive heard of so many different difficult things about keeping them. Maybe a brain coral later on or something, possibly some xenia

There are few different trains of thought you could take here David:

A) Buy the lowered power light now and run the risk of wanting to upgrade later, because you want something that requires more light, and kicking yourself in the butt afterwards cause now you're stuck with an extra light.

B) Buy the higher powered light now and then later wanting to setup a fuge and having to buy another light...or not ever needing the extra power in the first place...I thnk this is highly unlikely.

C) Buying the lower powered light now, saving up some coinage for the higher powered light and a fuge, then buying that higher power light for your display tank and usng the lower powered one someplace else...such as a fuge.

I think it's pretty safe to say, that as you make progress with your tank, you'll want to keep a wider vairety of coral and inverts and it's also pretty safe to say that as you make progress your system will get slightly more complex (ie: fuge, sump, etc.). I think it you would be a good choice to go to go route "C" but that's just my opinion.

I personally would go with 192 watt fixture.I 192 watt corallife on my 30 and have kept zoas,xenias,kenya weeds ( I mean trees),an anemone,gsp,candy cane,some kind of encrusting montipora.All in a 30 gallon tank with a seaclone 100 skimmer and a HOB filter.
30gal.jpg

Heres my 30 with the 192 watts of PC

If you have the 130w fixture already than skip the 192w one.Not enough of an upgrade,IMO.If you haven't pick up the lights yet than go with the 192w one.Practically all soft corals and many LPS corals should do fine.Its all about the placements.Mushrooms,colts,star polyps,kenya trees,leather corals,zoanthids are some of the softies.Frogspawns,hammers,candy cane are some of the LPS corals.

What are the dimensions on your tank?
I would look into a T5-HO fixture,the Current Nova Extreme w/ lunar lights comes to mine.They are price similiar to PC's but have a larger punch.They have a fixture 24'' 4x24w and 36'' 4x39w.Don't worry about the wattage,you can throw the wattage per gallon out the window.Lets put it this way,the 24'' 4x24w(96w)T5-HO is better than a 24''(130w)PC's.Something to do with T5 par value and efficiency.

Last edited:
The dimensions on my tank are: 36 long, 12 deep, 16 tall. I do already have the 30'' (130watt) fixture already (it has extenders on it to fit the tank), but it is still under the 30-day satisfaction on the website that I got it from, so I can exchange it for the 192 (36 in fixture)

Where did you get it from?
I would exchange it for Nova 36''(156w)T5-HO fixture instead.Trust me they are light years better than PC's and similiar in price.

reeffreak said:
Where did you get it from?
I would exchange it for Nova 36''(156w)T5-HO fixture instead.Trust me they are light years better than PC's and similiar in price.
Agreed 100%.

very nice yote...i enjoy a lot looking at your tank..i like it a lot..the pink spots on your rock is that coralline???...matt, that info about the ligths..bulls eye man!!... you too freak!!!

how good is this fixture here:

36" 192W (2-96 watt) Dual Strip Compact Fluorescent Light Fixture

Total output: 192W
Supports: 2 x 96W CF, 3 x Double Bluemoon LED
Fixture Size: 35.25" x 7" x 2.75"
Ballast Type: Internal Electronic
Power Cords: 3
On/Off switch: 3
Cooling Fan: 2 Built-In
Splash Protection: Acrylic Lens
Mounting Leg: Included (Max Reach: 36")
Hanging Kit: None
Type of Bulb: Straight Pin CF

originially priced at 149.99 and I can get it for 79.99. let me know what you guys think

What brand is it?From the sound of it,it might be a pretty good deal.But I cant really say without knowing the brand.

I also agree with reeffreak. T-5 are better than pc's.

One more thing though if your setting up a fuge you dont need a expensive high watt light, all you need is one of the dome heat lamp things with a clamp on it then add a floresant screw in bulb from walmart. I just bought one its the daylight bulb with a k rating of 10k its 20 watts but puts the light out of 75 watts and it works greak for macro. There is a artical on melevsreef.com about.

Aquatrades does have a bad rep for quality and customer service, however, in recent post people are saying there better and that the only porblem now is the bulbs are not any good and will need replaced when you get the fixture in, and the bulbs are not too cheap they run 30.00 a piece on the net and around 60.00 to 75.00 each in the LFS. I think you would be better getting a good set of t-5 or metal halide.

I do like my pc's but from everything I have read there not as good as metal halides or t-5's and need replaced more often. Some people even say they loose mmost of there light quikly and need replaced every 6 months but I think every 10 to 12 is ok.

Its really up to you. I dont think theres much of a deal on the pc's because the bulbs with the cost of the unit will be the same as a good set. I do think there MH wouldnt be bad though for the price. I wouldnt get there t-6's either because the bulbs are harder to find and cost even more. You can also look at ebay or on RC for a good use fixture. BTW the brand is odyssea and another name for the same brand is jebo there not that great. I got my pc's off ebay for 30.00 JMO though. But then again what I have said is not from first hand experience but from others that I have read.

Last edited:
Here is a link to a thread on there new lights. There now electronic instead of magnetic which was the prob before. Before they could catch on fire but now they run much cooler. Warning its alot of reading but will give you a idea on the new metal halide units they have.Reef Central Online Community

Good luck, and if you get a unit form them let us know how it turns out.

Ok thanks bobby,
Well ive already received the 130watt odyessa fixture. in your opinion, do you tink i should just sell it on ebay or something? and get something like a T5?

Okay I understand why so cheap now...its an Odyssea.Bobby pretty much nailed it on the head,there were a time when there fixture and customer support was crap but has seem to have gotten better.

here's the deal...you can trade the 30'' fixture for the 36'' one and pay whatever difference.The Nova has a higher up front cost($190)but will save you in the long run.T5 bulbs last 18-24mos. vs. PC's 6-12 months,bulbs slightly cheaper and the Nova will save you in electricity consumption.Not to mention its more ideal for light loving corals and even maybe anemones too.

Here's the link....T-5 Aquarium Lighting: Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights

BTW,whatever you choose will get the job done...just the T5-HO will do a better job.

thanks alot guys, you have helped out alot. I may just go ahead and sell this 130watt odyssa on ebay real soon and get the nova. i have heard good things about T5s from multiple sources

Back