Light question

I've had my lights on these stands that it came with but when i sit down on my couch the light from the tank bothers the hell outa me. Is it okay to take these legs off and rest the lights right on top of my tank? I know this may raise the temp somewhat but other than that will it be okay? or should i leave the legs on? i could post pix if needed....

Here are some pics to help...? It does make a HUGE difference when i have the lights set on the aquarium...so question is will it effect anything majorly if i do change it besides the temp of the tank...?

DSCF2983.jpg

DSCF2982.jpg

DSCF2980.jpg

With your light sitting right on those glass tops,your tank will more than likely over heat to point of killing off your livestock.

It won't affect the temp much, I prefer the lights on the tank myself also. T-5's are cooler to run, so it should be ok.

Smitty i kinda got ninja'd by you. They are T-5 and only about 160 watts...the tank is 46 gallons...maybe ill just wait till my canopy is made then the light won't effect my eyes while on the couch.....it also seems im loseing some lighting when it sits that high but maybe its just me...

maybe toss the glass top? is the fixture long enough to be supported by the edges or is it actually resting on the glass?

If you got rid of the glass top, which usually helps prevent overheating anyways by allowing more evaporation, you could just add a little clip on fan to blow across the water to help keep it cool

Thanks for the advice. I got a hold of the guy that built my stand. He also was supposed to build me a canopy but has been really busy....he needs a few measurments and he'll have my canopy in a few weeks so i guess ill just wait till then.

Back