Light confusion..

RoyB

Reefing newb
Hi everybody,
I have a 70gal corner flow cube, so this tanks is not as deep as a normal tank, it measures 30x30x19. I have a shallow sand bed and only about 20lbs of live rock. I will be getting more LR once i have the proper lighting in place. The tank has been up and running for two months now and everything looks good. Because the tank i shallower than normal do i need as mutch Watts to penitrate to the bottom? What would be the best solution for this?

I would say yes you do. It's better to invest in a good light now, then you don't have to upgrade in the future. At least 4 watts per gal is a good start

Hi and welcome Roy! A 19 inch deep tank is not considered shallow. That's pretty standard -- in fact, deeper than your standard 75 or 55 gallon tank, I believe. You will still need strong lights to penetrate to the bottom.

You do not need good light to get more live rock though. You should ideally shoot for 1 to 2 lbs of rock per gallon.

At this point I would invest in more rock before you get stronger lights. Rock is essential to you bio-filter and like Biff said you need 1-2lbs per gallon. Also adding new live rock to an existing system can cause a cycle or mini-cycle if its not cured before adding.

+1 Ryan and Biff. I would maximize to LR and build it to 140 lbs. As for lighting I would get more than the minimum of 4 watts per gallon. You'll probably wish you did later if you don't.

Awsome guys thanks a lot. Definatly will be adding more rock before the lighting. I think in the future i will invest in a t5/halide light system.

Back