Is this residue okay?

madlynb

madtaz
Okay guys. I have read some articles on picture taking and gave it a try. I have a Nikon D200 and supposedly set it to manual with different apertures, shutter speeds, ISO and a tripod.
Please review these pix and even though the coloring may not be perfect, can you let me know what the residue on top of sand and in sand bed are. I checked my parameters today. My salinity is 1.022, PH 8.21, temp 77.4F, ammonia 0, nitrate 5, nitrite 0.

th_SWT_0020.jpg
th_SWT_0024.jpg

th_SWT_0022.jpg

th_SWT_0025.jpg

and is cyano okay or not? I keep having problems with making pix large enough. When I transfer them to photobucket I indicate 600x800 large. It is baffling why they don't come out that way.

it's a type of matting bacteria. It's not really harmful, per se, but it's unpleasant and if it grows enough, it can somewhat take over your tank and smother corals, etc.

It grows on the sand a lot when you allow food to settle on it. (too much food or not enough flow to keep it suspended)

+1 Parrotchute.
Looks like cyano to me.
You'll wont to siphon out as much as possible and figure out where the excess nutrients are coming from.
Increase the flow in the tank too.

I have two koralia 3's (one on each side of tank) and one koralia 2 (on the back wall) Please advise what more I should get.

One 4 on each end and threes in the middle seperated or pointed as to give the best circulation. Do not use the adapters on the front you want a wide dispersion of water movement. Good luck let us know how things are going once you get your pumps set correctly.

So you are suggesting only one 4 each end without the cages over them? What about the middle pin that goes from the fan portion to the cage. Do I just remove that?
Two 3's in the middle seperated and pointing towards each other?

Leave the center pin.Its what holds the impeller in place.
What Johns saying,is put one K-4 on each end blowing toward the center of the tank.Then put 2 K-3s in the center of the tank,mounted on the back glass.

Back