Is it too much rock?

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
My dad took his tank down, and I'm downsizing from a 55g and a 10g to my old 47g tall. So I have about 150lbs of rock(give or take). The idea was to have the tank in a corner, with the rock stacked up along the back corner going to the top of the tank. The entire bottom of the tank is covered with rock, sand was used to fill in the cracks, then I just stacked it up trying to make as many shelves as I could and keeping it all stable.

Anyway, on with the pics. And please feel free to comment. Sorry it's cloudy, just got setup last night. Still have a lot of fine tuning to do.

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

This one is top down:
IMG_0984.jpg

I think it's kinda cool.
Just try to plan ahead and make sure you have enough room between the rocks and glass for whatever corals you'll want to put in there. And swimming room for fish.

Also make sure the rock is secure. A rock falling from the top may have the ability to crack your glass.

I agree. also I think it depends on what you want to focus on keeping. Small fish and corals will be fine, so it more of a preference. Usually 1-2 lbs of live rock is the recommended amount.

You will just have to get smaller fish. Get fish that don't swim around a lot. I'd get a sand sifting goby for sure. He'll keep that sand clean. You don't want the sand to just sit there undisturbed. I see potential for uneaten food to get trapped in the lower regions of the rocks and sand and causing water quality issues.

Just make sure there are no deadspots as yote said.
Looks great! I tried to do something similar with my 90 but failed miserably, and it ended up just being a wall...What are your plans for this tank?

Just make sure there are no deadspots as yote said.
Looks great! I tried to do something similar with my 90 but failed miserably, and it ended up just being a wall...What are your plans for this tank?

Thank you guys for the compliments! I really didn't think it looked all that great :bounce:

I think I really want to just do a bunch of soft corals. I have a couple LPS and some hard corals..but due to the location of the tank I will not be running a skimmer. Just keeping up with 10-15% water changes weekly. Figure soft corals will do better in the slightly dirtier water.

I have a clip on 150w MH I'll be using on it.

I imagine a lot of rics, mushroms, leathers, zoas, and xenia. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. But it'll be a work in progess.

Back