how much skimmate to expect octoext 200?

kmart189

Reefing newb
I bought a aoctopus extreme 200 I know that they are supposed to take a few weeks to break in I built a stand for it over the weekend and it is in 8" of water on my 150 gal with a 40 gal sump. I don't think that it is producing very muchonly about an 1/8 of an inch of water from 7:00pm- 930am. I have heard of doing a mesh mod on the pump, but don't want to mess things up does anyone have a good link to get me started so that it gets done correctly if I do it. Or wouldn't you suggest doing this yet...

yea i was kinda thinking the same thing, you wont be able to get anything reliable or predictable out of it till it gets a chance to break in... just let it run and keep an eye on it so it dosent cause a floor or run dry or anything like that...

I have the MSX sister skimmer to yours. Every one's correct in letting it break in. Mine took about 2 weeks to get a good skim out of it. you can close the pipe on top of the tee to get more skim out of it, but it will most likely will be just pulling water and not much crud till it breaks in........... Patience :mrgreen:

I was told not to bother using the mesh mod on the 160 or the 200. Something about making too many bubbles to be efficient. I don't know if that's true or not. Mine came with the pin wheel in it and it's working great, so I didn't screw around with it

Last edited:
I have the MSX sister skimmer to yours. Every one's correct in letting it break in. Mine took about 2 weeks to get a good skim out of it. you can close the pipe on top of the tee to get more skim out of it, but it will most likely will be just pulling water and not much crud till it breaks in........... Patience :mrgreen:

I was told not to bother using the mesh mod on the 160 or the 200. Something about making too many bubbles to be efficient. I don't know if that's true or not. Mine came with the pin wheel in it and it's working great, so I didn't screw around with it

How long does it take your cup to fill up about? Just curious on what size tank?

It took my Octo a good 2-3 weeks before it really started pumping out the sludge. I did the mesh mod on mine, but since you have the pinwheel impeller, I would just keep using that. It takes mine a week to fill the collection cup with thick, black, so stinky it makes you gag, sludge.

obviously some skimmers are more efficient than others.
But it also depends what the bio load is in your tank. How many fish, what kind of fish, how much water volume you're pushing through your sump, how much/what/often you feed, etc.

Back