How Much Movement is neccessary in a Tank?

Gooseman

Reefing Is An Obsession
I hear a lot of people varying their opinions on exactly how much movement ones tank should have. I currently run 2 Seio Super Flow Pumps (1500 & 620GPH) w/Mag Drive 700 return rippling across the surface. Is that not enough movement for a 120G tank? If not what would one suggest? Thanks in advance for your input.

I have heard that it should be 20x turnover per hour or better. Add your 1500 + 620 and divide by 120 = 17.6666666. Not bad, but I guess depending on who you ask it could be better. If you don't see any dead spots then I guess it is ok.

You have good flow. It is recommended to have AT LEAST 10 x your tank size. So the minimum recommended flow for a 120 gal is 1,200 GPH...thats the minimum. More is better. As long as the sand is not being disturbed, the more flow the better...

If i notice any dead spots i know is it safe to add additional pumps or is there a limit to having too much current? Also is there a method to the direction the pumps should be blowing? High? Low? Cross Current?

Too much flow would be if it starts disrupting the sand. I have one powerhead on each end of the tank pointing to the surface and one on each end abot half way down.

Your turn over rate is mainly dependent on your tanks inhabitants. Fish only tanks requiring the least turn over (5 to 10 times per hour), most soft corals are content with 5 to 10, hard corals typically prefer more for best color and fastest growth. 20 times per hour or more is typically recommended for hard corals with 20 being at the low end for a lot of SPS corals. SPS can take and do appreciate turnovers at 30 to 50 X as long as heavy velocity flows are not directly pointed at them. I am in one of those in favor of heavy turnovers as I am a predominately SP coral keeper. If your wondering how much of that flow has to run through your sump. Very little. Your sump flow through only has to be large enough to accommodate the needs of an in sump skimmer and refugium (if in a sump/combo). Other than that you only need to run through your sump enough to maintain the same water parameter there as in your display tank.

You want to set your power heads so that you get plenty of chaotic flow throughout the tank.I actually like for the flow to cause ripples in the sand.
IMO,as long as the sand stays on the bottom,then you dont have to much flow.
I have 2575gph flow in my 75 which gives 34X flow rate.

Gee you guys make me not feel like I am overdoing it with my 5500 gph of flow in my 120 gallon SPS tank. That is 45.83 times per hour turnover. But my 120 gallon tank with 40 gallon sump only holds 105 gallon of water due to a 5 1/5 inch deep sand bed and 140 pounds of rock and only 7.5 inches of water in sump. Thats a 52.4 times per hour turn over. One sump pump, two closed circuit circulation loops, with eight 1 inch return lines exiting through 3/4 inch adjustable lockline nozzles screwed into 1 inch bulkheads. Two returns on each side and four back wall returns. A back wall overflow with 2 two inch bulkheads feeding the sump with both a 1 1/2 inch and a 2 inch bulkhead 9 inches up from the bottom on the back wall from for the closed circulation loops. Lots of glass holes and lots of PVC pipe, valves and unions. It is easy to tell I have no wife to control my spending on reefing. What detritus, every thing that is small is in suspension in my tanks. I do have to put a layer of 1 to 2 mm substrate over the sand in some of the tanks I set up, always on my own tanks. Admittedly I am now running higher circulation rates than I ever have before, but I have lowered my water velocities.

WOW! It makes me feel under prepared. Maybe i will have to get another pump or power head to get more current. I have seen many tanks that have just an awesome display with a lot of current compare to what mine looks like.

Back