How high is the hunging light?

Wes888

Reef enthusiast
My lights consist of 2x150W HQI and 2x130W Actinic compact fluorescent. I'm going to mount a couple of 120mm (4.7") PC Case fans on the edge of the tank. In order to make room for the fans, I have to hung the lights 7" off the water. Is it too high? Should I use smaller fans and hang the light lower?

The supporting legs that came with the light assembly was only 2.5" tall.

this is a complete fixture, correct? are you having issues with temperature at the moment?

I really wouldn't raise the fixture higher unless you've exhausted options. have you considering having the fans on the back of the tank blowing diagonally?

if you have a sump I would recommend putting the fans on the sump.

Yea, it's a complete fixture. When I was using the supporting legs that came with the unit, even using a 12" Vornado fan didn't help on a hot and humid day. Yote suggested raising the fixture a few inches and it helped big time! Since the light fixture is higher now, I almost have enough room to mount a couple of 120mm fans instead of having a loud and ugly fan sitting few feet away from the tank blowing at it.

Is having the light closer really help that much? I can understand water depth could block out the light energy due to the energy absorption coefficient, but light in the air is negligible. The other thing that I was considering was the light reflector. It could have a focal point at certain feet down. But even so, off by 4-5 inches should not make that much a different on a 3 feet deep tank. That's all just physics, but I want to confirm it with your guys to see if anyone experienced any problem with the light hanging high and caused problem.

energy emmission and transmittion is is equal to the inverse square of the distance, increase the distance, and loose a measureable about of the light energy making it to the bottom of the tank, even tho it is just air gap your adding...

not to mention that there is a greater chance of some of your light leaking out over the edges of the tank the higher you go, and that adds to your losses...

mine is at 4 3/4" above the tank rim as well. That's exactly 120mm and it can fit the fans. "Almost" 7" is above the water.

Back