Hood?

Fireplug

Reefing newb
I am cycleing my tank and I noticed salt on the wall above the tank. Is this normal. Should I put a lid. Also Been cycleing for two weeks with 20 pounds of live sand and 10 pounds of live rock. Is that enough to start in a 75 gallon or how long will it take?

salt creep is nasty stuff, have you got something bubbling back there? lids cut light and reduce gas exchange, not wonderful for a reef, can you get a picture up?

HOB filter is a water fall right now because i plan on adding rock and sand. Salt was like a foot above the tank on the back wall

Is that all the rock you have in there? If so, i would add at least another 60-100 lbs of rock. It doesnt have to be live, and dry is much cheaper anyways.

If you do have more rock, that is plenty to start your cycle.

And that is really high for salt creep? did you slash around much filling your tank?

find a way to stop the splash, its very corrosive, eats paint,wallpaper,metal, lights and if it falls back into the tank and lands on a coral it will burn it

Little fish thats all the rock for now i thought needed all live. I will prob go tommorrow and and get some dry rock. and maybe some live too.

Thanks Ogaawd

Yeah, make sure to get the right rock. Either live or dry rock. As it's been said, some rock contains harmful minerals which you don't need in a tank. Good luck!

Salt creep is problematic to all of us. But usually, there isn't enough splashing in our tanks for it to get on the walls behind the aquarium. Do you have a filter or anything that is spraying water back there?

In regards to the salt creep, this would look really tacky but it would work until you can get more rock in there, is temporarily tack up a sheet of plastic behind the tank. The saltwater would hit it and not the wall itself.

Back