Help replacing rock.

OceanCrazy

Reefing newb
Hey all, my new rocks arrived today and i wanted to replace some of the rocks in my tank.Now the problem is i have one live rock in there that has all the sweet stuff on it but i am in the middle of an Algae crisis where the Algae has taken over all my rocks.It stopped growing but they still there.What do i do with the live rock?I still want it in there but the Algae is all over it.

i would take out all the rock and try and brush the algae of the good piece and just leave it in.
if u still have an algae problem u still need to get to the bottom of it but at least most of the rocks with algae will b gone.

I have checked my water over and over almost every other day,and my parameters are all good.Gonna do another 50% water change tonight.LFS said my lights are on too long, i have them go on at 8am and off at 7pm, might start making it go off at 6pm.

Last edited:
If it stopped growing what do you have for a CUC in there? if you are noticing no new growth then your CUC should be getting rid of the rest for you, And if you are putting new "liverock" in with your exsisting watch your levels you may get a small cycle.. If it is long hair algae get it down as close to the rocks as you can and then the CUC will mop up the rest..

Algae outbreaks are just part of the fun of a new tank. You can try lights off for as few days to slow down the outbreak, but really need a pretty decent clean-up crew in there to mow it down!

Ok got it cleaned up a bit, and added some rock. Gonna get some more rock when i am really sure its stopped and under control.

Attachments

• DSCN0517.webp
    DSCN0517.webp
    32.6 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN0519.webp
    DSCN0519.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 211
Back