Heating for DT

bangbangkhan

Reefing newb
I have a 90 gallon DT and a 30 gallon Sump.

The heater I bought is 200W and rated for 50 gallon of water. If that heater is placed in the sump then do I need to add an additional heater in the display tank? I want to keep only the power heads in the display tank and no other equipment.

As long as the temp stays constant. Ambient temp is also a factor. If you keep your house 78°, you may only use 50 watts for 210 gallons, but if its 57°, you could use 300 w for 20 gallons. Ideal temp is 79-82°F, so as long as your tank is there, then 200 is fine.

A side note: as far as more heaters go, I would say not in the tank, BUT a lot of people use 2 (or more) heaters with lower wattage (say instead of 200 watts, theyd use 2x100 or 150) in case one breaks or dies. Ive had that happen before and I went to do a water change in an old freshwater tank, stuck my hand in and it was 68-70°. Well, I still only use 1, but just a (smart) option if you can swing 2 at a time.

+1 Kyle
I nearly always advise my customers to invest in 2 smaller heaters and a temp controller. That way you've got 2 smaller heaters ( in case one craps out ) but the controller actually regulates the temp instead of the heater itself.

+1 Kyle
I nearly always advise my customers to invest in 2 smaller heaters and a temp controller. That way you've got 2 smaller heaters ( in case one craps out ) but the controller actually regulates the temp instead of the heater itself.

If only all the sellers were like you...

Forgot about the controller. If you wanna skip that, though, 70° is still better than 65° IMO. But still great to have.

what's a good controller brand to buy? will the one below serve the purpose? can this also serve as a wave maker with Hydor power heads?

ReefKeeper Lite Basic - Digital Aquatics

what's a good controller brand to buy? will the one below serve the purpose? can this also serve as a wave maker with Hydor power heads?

ReefKeeper Lite Basic - Digital Aquatics

The Reefkeeper Lite is an awesome temperature controller. I ran one on my 125 for a couple of years ( until I sold the tank ). I had it controlling 2X 200 watt heater plus a fan.
If the temp dropped below 78 the heaters came on. If it got above 79 the fan came on. At 81 the lights would turn off.
Plus I used it as a timer for the lights and a PH monitor. Well worth the investment.

The Reefkeeper Lite is an awesome temperature controller. I ran one on my 125 for a couple of years ( until I sold the tank ). I had it controlling 2X 200 watt heater plus a fan.
If the temp dropped below 78 the heaters came on. If it got above 79 the fan came on. At 81 the lights would turn off.
Plus I used it as a timer for the lights and a PH monitor. Well worth the investment.
Yote---- I have this mental image of you as this 6'4", 240lb grizzly of a man, with a zz top beard, growly voice, holster on your side holding one of your many pistols and then you used the word "AWESOME". No offense meant as I am as country as they come and use the word myself but I had a couple drinks found it amusing tonight and thought I would share:Cheers:

Yote---- I have this mental image of you as this 6'4", 240lb grizzly of a man, with a zz top beard, growly voice, holster on your side holding one of your many pistols and then you used the word "AWESOME". No offense meant as I am as country as they come and use the word myself but I had a couple drinks found it amusing tonight and thought I would share:Cheers:

good one! hahaha

Hahaha, that's funny. :D

WELL,
The holster part is right. :D
No offense taken.
BTW:
What part of Bama are you in?

And just to break your mental image, here's the most recent pic of me that I got. :mrgreen:
PRMS0020.jpg

WELL,
The holster part is right. :D
No offense taken.
BTW:
What part of Bama are you in?

And just to break your mental image, here's the most recent pic of me that I got. :mrgreen:
PRMS0020.jpg

A little town called Leroy (population 900) about 55 miles north of Mobile. Thanks for sharing the photo and having a sense of humor:mrgreen:

Yall gotta love Joe. Hes a big ole teddy bear, though, but with more guns than Springfield Armory and more rounds than Federal Ammunition. #1 on my to-be-friends-with list. :)

Back