GFCI still tripping

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
Whenever my lights are on, my GFCI keeps on tripping. It's weird, one day it won't trip but the next day it wont. This is starting to piss me off. Is it even real important to have my lights on a GFCI? The only way it would come in contact with the water is if I dropped the fixture in which is unlikely. Isn't the GFCI mainly for submersible equipment?

It's weird, one day it won't trip but the next day it wont. equipment?

LOL thats what it is supposed to do not trip unless there is a problem. J/k I know what you meant. You should have anything that come near water on a GFCI just incase. I have had my tank set up for a year and never used one (I really need to add one though) and havn't had any problems, but who knows I could get electrocuted tomarrow. Maybe you have a faulty one. Have you tried to replace it? Is it the plug in kind or one that is the socket?If its the plug in type try a socket type. They're not expensive I think only 8.00 or so. I really need to get to Home Depot and get one LOL. I have made close calls like the other day I was making up water and reached in to grab the pump out and unplug at the same time. The bad thing is my finger almost touched the prongs while it was still in the wall and my hand in the bucket. Then when you relize how close you came to possibly killing yourself you ask youeself why havn't you put one on yet.LOL

I've not got my lights on a GFIs.Just my pumps.
You may have a bad outlet,But then again,there may be somethng else tripping it.Kinda hard to tell unless you got a volt meter.
I made mine from some extra cord and outlets we had at work,and they have yet to trip unless I happen to get sloppy while working around the tank.

Bobby,
You really do need GFIs.I dont want to find out you got fried mixing water up.

I found at that lights with multiple ballasts WILL trip GFCI's. My fixture has 2 ballasts.

So is it ok to not have my lights hooked up the the gfci?

Yote, why did you decide to not put your lights on one?

Mainly because I always make sure the lights are not going to come in contact with any water.
Plus my lights are plugged in up high in a different outlet thats behind my gun safe.So they dont need GFIs.

I dont know if they can fall in there still is the chance. I don't remember were but I did read were a guy allmost killed him self when his light fell in the tank when he was feeding his fish or something and not think out of reaction he grabbed the light and he said he heard a sound and then the GFCI he had them on poped, so if it weren't for that he could be dead. After this thread the first chance I get I'm going to go get me a couple of the socket GFCI's and install them.LOL

Bobby,
Remember that when you install a GFI in the wall,that is it trips,then every thing down circuit goes off.
Get an extension cord,a 2X4 wall box,and a 2 gang GFI outlet with face plate.Then just dut the female end off the cord and set your GFI up there.That way if it trips it dont shut down every thing thats on the same breaker.

I am glad this post served multiple purposes. Everyone who doesn't have a GFCI better get one. I would hate to here someone was seriously injured by the hobby they love most.

I am glad this post served multiple purposes. Everyone who doesn't have a GFCI better get one. I would hate to here someone was seriously injured by the hobby they love most.

I agree Salty.
Water and electricity is a dangerious combo.

Back