future 55 gallon

keithatron

Reefing newb
Hey guys Im new here and I had a few questions.
Im moving in about 3 months and I have a 55 gallon with no filter that Im not using, and Im planning on trying a saltwater tank when I get settled in. I dont know much about them but I have alot of experience with freshwater tanks.. All I know is so far Im going to get a marine lane filter that is for 70 gallon tanks. Can anyone direct me to a site that has a guide for saltwater tanks? Im looking to have a bunch of fish but Im not sure which kinds are good with each other, and how many I can put in a 55 gallon tank.
Thanks in advance,
Keith

Hello and Welcome!

Salt water is pretty different from fresh, so staring off, ditch the filter. With marine tanks you are much better off with a protein skimmer or algae scrubber. A great brand for the money for a protein skimmer, is the Reef Octopus skimmer. There are lots of sites online that sell this stuff, just google what you are looking for.

The below link is all about water chemistry, which is extremely important in this hobby. It will also discuss some setup stuff for saltwater tanks, which you need to know.
https://www.livingreefs.com/water-chemistry-t31270.html

The site below is a great place to look for livestock ideas.
Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

Be sure to check out how big of a tank the fish need. Also with a 55 you are limited to about 5 small fish. The stocking rules for saltwater is very different from fresh. There is also a database on this site where you can see different types of fish and put together a good stocking list.

This is a great site and we will help you put together your dream tank!

A basic rule of thumb for saltwater is one fish for every ten gallons. So you would be limited to five fish with a 55 gallon.

And welcome to the site. Everybody here is very helpful.

great thanks. I was looking at other people starting tanks and I noticed that the water quality has to be much different if your getting invertabrates, or just fish. Im planning on keeping it simple and not having too m uch in it and just having the emphasis kept on the fish, just the bare necessities then add as I get more experienced. Also do I use tap water to fill it? or something else

I would not use tap water, i can lead to ugly, annoy algae issues. Most of us use RO/DI water, a few people here get away with using tap but they dont keep sensitive corals or inverts.

And starting off simple with just fish is a great way to do it. It lets you learn the basics of keeping good water, and then when you feel ready you can upgrade to a reef.

yeah thanks I just read that. Im looking to keep crabs and snails so I guess a puffer isnt the way to go. Im not sure which fish I want to get :( I was thinking of maybe 2 dartfish (Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Zebra Barred Dartfish) 1 hawkfish (Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Flame Hawkfish)
and 1 wrasse (Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Reef Aquariums: Multicolor Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse) Would I have room for one more or is that ok? Also I would like alot of crabs and snails.. and anything else that will make it look natural

Well remember you have to wait two or three weeks between additions to let the bacteria catch up to the new waste load. If you think your tank is going ok (no bad algae or other signs of high nutrients) then i think you would be ok adding another fish. Just be sure that you keep an eye on your tank, crashes really suck :(

I think you'd be ok adding one more. With the dartfish and wrasse, you're going to want to have a top on your tank or you'll end up with some carpet surfers. Here's what a few people have used successfully

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0CzorCknWQ&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - DIY screen top for aquariums.mpg[/ame]

Hello and welcome to the site...you've come to the right place to learn this hobby, so feel free to ask questions, as you're doing, and we'll get you started in the right direction.

I think that's a pretty good list! And I agree with little_fish. If you keep up on your water I don't see why you couldn't add another fish... maybe a goby or a blenny?
Just take it slow and it will be great!

Welcome to the site! In saltwater aquariums, your live rock/live sand is the filter pretty much. A skimmer will get rid of some gunk/proteins from your tank and an algae scrubber will make it so that the algae can grow on that and not so much in the tank.

We have some really helpful members on this site so feel free to ask any questions and we'll do our best to help!

Well remember you have to wait two or three weeks between additions to let the bacteria catch up to the new waste load. If you think your tank is going ok (no bad algae or other signs of high nutrients) then i think you would be ok adding another fish. Just be sure that you keep an eye on your tank, crashes really suck :(

thanks alot, thats why i need to figure out what i need to do exactly! Ive read in different spots about refilling water. When it evaportates and I have to add more, do I add freshwater? (since the salt doesnt evaporate) Or do I add more of the same saltwater? Also lets see what I know so far that I need.

So its going to be a 50 gallon.
First of all I need to know a good way to clean a freshwater tank to prepare it for a saltwater.

Then I have to get at least 60 Lbs of live rock right?
I have to have a skimmer
Get a better filter to maintain the temp of the fish
use that RO/DO water to fill it? (Im not sure it RO/DO is right im just trying to remember it haha)
And add the saltwater to the right level using that thing which name escapes me.
What level of salticity do I need..Can anyone explain how to use that?
Then I dont know whats next

Also what kind of test kits do I need?

Sorry its alot of the questions, If any links youve sent answer these questions you dont have to answer because Im just now getting to reading them tonight... thanks

Also what is an algae scrubber? And I only have one good local fish store that sells Saltwater fish, if they dont have it, is there somewhere online I can order it successfully? I live in Texas

Here is a link that will explain lots of this:

https://www.livingreefs.com/water-chemistry-t31270.html

Also you have to make your own algae scrubber, but its really easy and very cheap. There is a link in that article to the DIY for that and some more info.

Post any more questions you have when you are done reading that. I would normally answer them now anyways, buuuuuuuut im feeling a little unsteady on my feet if you know what i mean.

do you suggest I buy a RO/DI system? Or just buy the RO/DI water from the store? Also I would like to set up a wet dry filter for it but Im pretty scared to try it. Do you happen to know where I can find some plans to make a DIY, that lists all the parts I need and step by step instructions? thanks

I would skip the wet/dry filter. They are outdated and not used very often for saltwater anymore. They can lead to high nitrates if not maintained correctly.

You can get your own RODI unit for around $150 online, and they are easy to set up (under the kitchen sink). You can also buy RODI water from a store, but you will have to keep paying for it, and you will have to transport it. So it's up to you.

Back