Freebie

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
Hey here goes another dumb question but seems like thats all I have right now so here goes. I was given a 29 gal tank that my cousin insists on being a 35gal. Will this be appropriate size to use for a sump/fuge for the 125gal that I am planning? also does any set up the refuge part of their system on display? I think that the macro Ive seen is attractive in pics<never seen it in person> I was thinking that a custom stand with only the fuge part of the tank showing would kinda look nice? any input would be great. Thanks

:bounce: Because refugium can be so interesting/pretty people quite often place the refugium slightly above their main display tank. They pump water up to the refugium tank and let the overflow from the refugium drain by gravity back into main display tank. This requires a bulk head be put in refugium tank though. I have seen some very impressive refugium tanks over the years. Even seen them with sea horses. Refugium with gravity overflows into main display tanks supply good levels of natural foods to a main display tank in addition to be good denitrifiers if deep sand beds are included. A 29 gallon tank is good for refugiums with deep sand beds as they are tall tanks. As for refugium size in comparison to display tank size.,have never seen studies in relationship to size. As long as you have flows through your refugium that will allow for matching tank parameters, all sizes are acceptable. In general though with refugium as well as sumps people tend to go with the bigger the better plan. The main thing usually considered in relation to size is the space available, because the cost of everything else such, as return pump and overflow or bulkheads and plumbing is essentially the same cost regardless of tank size. There is a considerable difference in costs of deep sand beds between tank sizes, as aragonite sand is not cheap and adds up in pounds quickly with deep beds. Usually inoculating a refugium costs essentially the same regardless of size, within reason, anyway. :^:

Last edited:
Yeah, that would make a great sump/fuge. Are you going to put it underneath your main tank, in the stand? If so, then you certainly can keep part of the stand open to see it. I don't have my fuge visible because it's part of my sump.

that's a great idea making the fuge veiwable. If I had room, I would build a viewable refugium too. I find mine as fascinating as the display sometimes.

I saw one that had their furge viewable. It looked really cool. I can't remember how they did it. All I can remember is they made their own stand. So put the plan on paper and go for it.

Back