Food question

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
I don't think my clownfish like the vitamarin I've added to their mysis shrimp...they eat it then spit it out. I gave them a little without the drops, and they gobbled it up. I put just a little bit of the drops, but they just don't seem to like it. How do I know if they're getting enough to eat?

My totmato clown spits his mysis out sometimes too. I try to switch the food up every day. I use frozen PRIME REEF and the mysis shrimp. Sometimes they dont want any of it so I drop in a little Prime reef flake and they go crazy !! BUT, I dont like using the flake. I try to stay with frozen!!!!!

Ok, so how do you know if they're starving? When I fed them last night, one of them had a feast (I didn't had the vitamarin to this batch), but the other one just swam at the back of the tank, and nipped at a couple of pieces and spit it out. Maybe the other one is beginning to show signs of dominance now? How can I ensure that both are getting enough to eat? After all this work to get the setup right, I'd hate to lose one cuz it starved to death.

Ok, nevermind. I jsut fed them and both seemed to eat now. So from what I've read up, they will eat and start spitting stuff when they're full? But I know they don't like the vitamarin drops I put in. How else can I supplement them with nutrients? I'm going to pick up more variety of foods. The bottle did say I can put it directly in the tank...is this suggested? I'd hate for it to mess up my chemistry.

as long as you are using food that comes from the ocean like mysis or foods made with clam meat they will get what they need from the food. but if you feed brine shrimp than they will need to be suplemented with other things since the brine and other fresh water food types have no omega 3 fatty acids in them.

Ok, nevermind. I jsut fed them and both seemed to eat now. So from what I've read up, they will eat and start spitting stuff when they're full? But I know they don't like the vitamarin drops I put in. How else can I supplement them with nutrients? I'm going to pick up more variety of foods. The bottle did say I can put it directly in the tank...is this suggested? I'd hate for it to mess up my chemistry.

I've personally haven't use that brand of vitamin.I do use Selcon though in all my fish food(even coral food) is soaked in it prior to feeding.They gobble it up with gusto.Mix up the variety,don't rely on one type of food(unless its Rod's Food).

For now I just have the mysis shrimp (brand name is kyorin). I was going to pick up some other type of food. I'll feed them more plain mysis with no vitamin, but for tomorrow, I'll try putting even less of the vitamarin drops.

I remember when I had freshwater, I occassionally threw in some flake food, and one of the fish did not eat the green ones :) Kept spitting it out...lol

For now I just have the mysis shrimp (brand name is kyorin). I was going to pick up some other type of food. I'll feed them more plain mysis with no vitamin, but for tomorrow, I'll try putting even less of the vitamarin drops.

I remember when I had freshwater, I occassionally threw in some flake food, and one of the fish did not eat the green ones :) Kept spitting it out...lol

Just curious, do you think there is vitamin supplements in the ocean? lol.

I wouldn't worry about the vitamins. Just feed them mysis, they will do just fine.

I think someone goes out there and drops huge pills into the ocean...yeah...that's it!

So none of you really feel I need to put these drops in anywhere? I'd rather not cuz the fish prefer plain ole shrimp.

They are more for is the fish are sick or you could add maybe once a week. I mix a whole bunch of different foods together and freeze that. I have about 5 different kinds of food at every feeding.

You know, I worry about everything except eating. When my daughter was about 3, she decided she would only eat: Peanut butter and jelly, macaroni and cheese and chicken nuggets. I talked to her Dr. about it and he said no healthy child will starve to death with food in front of them. I figure if I'm feeding the foods that is designed for the fish I have and there isn't a bullying problem, then it is the fish's responsibitlity to make sure he eats. Don't know about the vitamines but I think if you can replicate what they eat in the "real world" then I wouldn't worry unless they've been sick. JMHO. Catherine

I guess, just like any new "mom", I'm obsessed about getting things right...especially after all the hard work and expense. Thanks for all the reassurances about not giving the drops :) My fish are definitely pigging out now that I haven't put the drops in their food.

Back