First protein skimer. Help pleaz

Kwater

Chill
I just got a new protein skimmer and the pump. I don't know how the cup at the top is working. Is the water suppost to flow into the cup. Right now I have a bunch of bubbles at the top and they slowley go into the collection cup. And does this hurt the pump because I don't thing that I have the pump pushing full blast because I turned the red valve at the bottom down a little. And there is a metal screw on the valve that is under water is the whole thing sumergable. I need help

Sounds like it's working properly.No,you don't want the water pouring into the cup.It may take a few days before it produces skimmate.

I think you've got it right. The skimmer is supposed to "separate" the gunk from the water, and draw the gunk out in the bubbles. So the cup is supposed to be filling slowly with filmy bubbles. When the bubbles pop and turn back into water, they will contain mostly gunk, and it will be brown. If your cup is filling up with a brown liquid that's thicker than water, then it's working the way it should. Like ReefFreak said, it usually takes several weeks for the skimmer to break in, so be patient with it.

Back