Filling a new tank

MikMcgyver

Vlamingi owner 4 life!
Is there a better way to fill a tank without just dumping 5 gallon bottles inside it? Like a slow trickle, or a siphon? I am going to be starting on my 90 soon and want to fill it as neatly as possible. Not to disturb the sand or LR I have in it. Or does it really matter? Will I still get a dust cloud?

I buy my water from a LFS in 5 gallon bottles, so that makes 18 or so bottles to pop in there... not including the sump, 30 gallons or so..

Good luck. When filling a new tank, you will always get a dust cloud! You can put a big plastic mixing bowl in the bottom of the tank, then pour the water into the bowl, so it will gently fall over the edges onto the sand, but it will still kick up dust.

You can minimize it by that trick Biff mention or lay plastic bag on top of the sand then pour slowly.Speaking of sand,if its dry sand then you can rinse it with dechlorinated water first.Its going to get cloudy regardless,just less.

If you already have your base rock in,you can pour the water on top of that.It'll help some,But like Biff and Reef already stated,your gonna have a cloudy tank for a day or so.

Put your water in first,Then lay the bag on the bottom of your tank.Take a good sharp knife and cut the bag in two.Then gently pour the sand out of each half of the bag.Just remember to ease the sand out and not just dump it.That should minimize the dust cloud by quiet a bit.

Back