Feeding Techniques?

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I feed a lot of frozen foods. Mostly frozen combo with just a bit of chopped krill, mysis or brine.

Rather than fuss with 2 or 3 different packages every day--could I just put it all in the blender and grind it up--then put the homogenized mixture back in the cubes to freeze again? That way I can just bust a cube in half and drop it in the tank.

I put all of my food in a tupperware container. marine cuisine, mysis, cyclopeeze, emerald entree, sometimes plankton, vitamins and garlic. then I let them thaw in the fridge stir and refreeze in ice cube trays, then put them back into the tupperware to keep fresh.

Good idea, guys. I think I'm going to try this. But regular ice cube trays would be too big for me. Can you come up with any ideas of something smaller that I could refreeze it in?

Oh, and adding in fresh seafood from the grocery store to the mix is also a good idea, and very cheap. There used to be a recipe on here to make your own frozen food, and if I remember correctly, it cost like $60 to make 2 years worth. I'll try to dig it up and post it.

Good idea, guys. I think I'm going to try this. But regular ice cube trays would be too big for me. Can you come up with any ideas of something smaller that I could refreeze it in?

I'm going to refreeze the mixture in the original packaging. My frozen food came in packages with little bitty cubes. I'm going to just grind it all up and then pour it back into the cubes. Slip it inside a 1g ziploc to protect from freezer burn and it should be fine.

These kind:
Hikari Frozen Krill

See the little cubes in the plastic mold?

Here's one, this is from a post by AndyBsomethingoranother:

Just thought i'd share my recipie for coral food for anyone who's interested. I just mixed up my first batch yesterday and fed it today. All I can say is wow. I get a great feeding response from all of my corals. This recipie is a modified version of Eric Borneman's so i can't take credit for making it up. Just wanted to pass it on to all of you guys on here.

1 - 12oz package of raw shrimp
1 - 8oz cup of raw oysters
1 - 16oz package of raw squid
1 - 2lb bag mussles raw in shell
1 - 12oz bag scallops
1/2 bar cyclopeeze

3 tbl spoons formula 1 pellet food
3 tbl spoons formusa 2 pellet food
1 pkg sushi nori (dried, not roasted or seasoned available at asian food stores)

3oz zoecon
5oz zoe (both by kent)

put it in a blender and liquify it should look like thawed cyclopeeze when you are done.

Make sure that all of the food is RAW. cooked food may have preservitives or salt in it as well as having minimized nutritional value.

freeze it in ziploc freezer quart bags. make it about 3mm thick for easy breaking.

Try this out guys your fish and corals will love you for it. this recipie makes about enough for a year and costs around $60 to make. it's a great thing to have club members go in on it with you.

enjoy

Here's another:

Home Made Food Preparation
© Albert J. Thiel

I often get asked what food I use for corals and fish and what/how I prepare it. I put a short document together for NetClub â„¢ together to give you the breakdown of the food mix in % form so that you can use it for any quantity you want to make.

Below is the list of ingredients:

Shrimp meat: 40 %
Scallop meat: 25 %
Mussel meat: 15 %
Fish Roe: 10 %
Nori (untreated): 5 %
Spinach raw: 2 %
Romaine Lettuce: 2 %
Broccoli: 1 %
Blend all this to a mush in a standard kitchen blender.

Add 1 tsp of Vital Gold and 1 tsp of KSM per half pound. You can also add some Selcon (1/2 tsp per 1/2 lb) and some Vit C if you want (100 mg per half pound). These are all added after you have put it through the blender. I add them.

Now freeze them in one of those trays that has little cubes type holes in it (an old frozen food tray basically). Use as needed. Thaw before adding to the tank.

biff you should be able to find smaller cube trays at a party specialty store, I found some that are the same size as the trays the food comes in, for my smaller tanks and the 850 gets big cubes. :)

I went to Michael's today and bought some candy molds. They are about the size of small peanut butter cups. I am currently whipping up a batch of homemade fish and coral food in the kitchen right now. I got bored. Figured I'd try it.

I went to Michael's today and bought some candy molds. They are about the size of small peanut butter cups. I am currently whipping up a batch of homemade fish and coral food in the kitchen right now. I got bored. Figured I'd try it.

thats a great idea, let us know how it works.

I actually changed my mind about the candy molds. They were too big, and not very many molds to a sheet. So Neal came up with the idea of cutting eggcrate to fit the bottom of a baking pan. That will make perfectly sized cubes. I'm almost done *cooking*, I'll start a thread when I'm done.

And I'll see if Jhnrb can put those recipes in the Helpful Articles section, Yote. Good idea!

great idea Biff. You are brilliant. Hell, I spent like....$18 a month on food for my fishes and this looks like a great combo. Let me know how it goes. I have been thinking that for my big angels, I don't want such a thin and runny paste. I imagine they like eating bigger hunks of food, so I may try it and not set the speed so high so it remains chunky. I like the idea of adding cyclops for color and nori for nutrition.

Let me know how your experiment works, I may give it a shot.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back