Dry rocks

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
so, i had an idea to use fist size rocks for a rock mound in my tank and i bought about 13kg of dry rock today to start getting it going

some were already small and 2 were big pieces i wanted to break, my lfs said, just take a hammer to it and it will break, so for, not working.

whats the best way to break this rock into smaller pieces?

thanks

I might need to get a big chisel, i was using a flat headed screwdriver, obviously not big enough lol.

hahaha, chisel seems like the least manly way to do it... hrmm, biiiiiiiiifff, wanna fly to australia and scream at my rocks ? :P

Dakwan, ill try be more manly, just punch it instead! Worked on my computer *shrug*

Time to bring out the stanley power tools ;) haha

And here I thought an icepick would cut it, what was i thinking?

got some chisels, started hammering away, got a few pieces off but not all of its breaking as easy as i want it XD going to have to soak it in some water and chisel it out tomorrow. Its a bit of fun :D

also starting looking at building my own self hanging light system for the tank. Started planning today :D practicing for the big tank so i dont have to hang from the roof.

Dont think soaking it in water will soften a rock up much. Get a hammer drill with a masonry bit in it and drill a few holes through the rock. Then use the hammer and chissel to break where you drilled.

Dont think soaking it in water will soften a rock up much. Get a hammer drill with a masonry bit in it and drill a few holes through the rock. Then use the hammer and chissel to break where you drilled.

Ill have to ask family for their drill, dont want to spend more money just yet lol. I am still a student!

The chisel is working if i chip all the way around then crack all the way through!

Got another question, Ive got a loooot of rock in my tank that I can still use for this, is it okay to take it all out and chop it all up? i have one huge piece of live rock i want broken up for this but i dont want to take it out, break it and cause a cycle from the die off on the rock, and nor do i want to cause a cycle by taking the ive rock out and not having enough beneficial bacteria. whats the best option here? because im making a rock rubble mound

Thanks biff, ill have to empty the corals into a tub then get going on splitting the rocks and getting them straight back into the water.

My lfs has a lil band saw they will cut your rock for you. its pretty nice. i tried the scewdriver before it doesnt work at all neither does a hammer.

Back