did my water change and.....

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
poof! Brown algae covering about 1/3 of my rock in less than 24 hrs! Grrrr.....I read its normal in a new tank but can I still go with a pair of clowns and the Green Star Polyp when my skimmer and lighting show up? I can post some pics if anyone is interested.

BTW I was reading the post about naming fish. I think my clowns will be shampoo and conditioner.....

Yep, this is normal. Does it look like a rust colored dust? If so, it's diatoms. Those will come and go, and as your tank matures you'll get diatom outbreaks less frequently. You can still add the GSP and clowns once your lights and skimmer get here. The diatoms aren't going to hurt them.

Thats called diatoms.And yeah,your clowns will be just just fine.As well as the GSP.
Diatoms are caused by silicates in the water.Once thats used up,the diatoms will go away just as fast as they came.
Thats not all the bad that will show up either.You still have hair and cyano to go through.

Heres some of the brown stuff, and some pink stuff too, that I have spread out on all my rock..

algae007.jpg

algae009.jpg

Ya, lots of good snails out there to eat up all that grub. Freak mentioned a few good ones, also take a look at Tongan Nassarius snails, good for cleaning the sand up, they live under the sand and eat everything that lands on it...

That pink looks like it be the start of coralline.If it is congratulations,There are people that have all kinds of trouble growing it.

Back