Diatoms

Kully3xf

Reefer Madness
I think i have diatoms, and im fully cycled. The tank was looking super clean and clear, and then i put in fish, and next morning there was brown on the sand and now the water is a little foggy, nothing serious yet... I'm pretty 100% sure it's diatoms on the sand. I have a few snails in the tank and i just turned my protein skimmer on and reduced my light timings. Any input/help is appreciated!

Thanks

oepf7.jpg

The rock is a dif. color...
dfuhbm.jpg

Looks like diatoms to me. There's nothing you can really do about them, they'll go away when all the silicates in your water have been used up.

You can try to syphon it out and maybe direct a little more flow down that way. You say you are fully cycled. Have you had a bloom before or is this the first time. It usually shows up shortly after the params get down to zero. Manual removal helps a little but tomorrow it will be right back. Then one day out of the blue, it's gone. Normal issue for a new tank.

This was a helpful thread because I am also having my first "bloom" I am using the closest thing I have to RODI which is filtered. All my other levels are great though.....

Yeah it must be NTS after doin some further reading, so yea it's a brand new tank.

And marines_wife i feel like were in about the same boat here being that we're both running the same sized tank and started around the same time, i follow alot of your posts for help too!

Just gunna wait this one out :)

Yeah it must be NTS after doin some further reading, so yea it's a brand new tank.

And marines_wife i feel like were in about the same boat here being that we're both running the same sized tank and started around the same time, i follow alot of your posts for help too!

Just gunna wait this one out :)
LOL well good I feel like less of a lurker now. Were twins haha

Back