diatom bloom

diatoms are typical in new setups. it's part of whats called "new tank syndrome" they will normally clear on their own in a few weeks. their main food source is silicates in the water. if they keep coming back or don't go away on their own, running products such as phosban will absorb silicates and phosphates in the water and starve them out. using ro/di water is the best prevention of diatoms.

it's not new tank syndrome, my tank's been running for 9 months. i had the initial bloom at 1 month, now it's all over my powerheads and some of my rock where the coralline isnt at. i just got some astreas, so that should help. RODI is already used.

what's the source of the ro/di? maybe the DI cartridge is spent, and allowing silicates to enter the water. has anything such as large amounts of live rock been moved around recently? sometimes that will trigger a diatom bloom.

Run a test for phosphates and nitrates,just to sure where there at.
Are you feeding frozen foods or flakes?Flakes are bad.They contain ash which is just a form of phosphate.

To help with the problem.Try leaving the lights off for 3 or 4 days.It wont bother any of your corals or fish.They'll just think its cloudy.

Back