Cycle question

I dont know why I haven't had any spikes on my levels,I have added live sand ,live rock and dry rock.what can I do to start the cycle.

Lights don't matter for the cycle. And yes, you should add a piece of shrimp of some fish food to get your cycle started.

I haven't done a tank cycle in years. ,ok I add the shrimp ,get the levels up and wait until they get to 0 and cycle is done right.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question. I have used live sand and uncured live rock. Should I still add a piece of shrimp? From what I had read I thought the uncured rock would make the tank cycle. I noticed yesterday that my ammonia level had gone up barely, but it has gone back to 0 today. I also thought it was strange because I used my well water to fill the tank, which has about 5-10 ppm Nitrates. That level has gone to zero in the last 24 hours as well.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question. I have used live sand and uncured live rock. Should I still add a piece of shrimp? From what I had read I thought the uncured rock would make the tank cycle. I noticed yesterday that my ammonia level had gone up barely, but it has gone back to 0 today. I also thought it was strange because I used my well water to fill the tank, which has about 5-10 ppm Nitrates. That level has gone to zero in the last 24 hours as well.

Add a shrimp anyway. Uncured rock can make the tank cycle, but the die off on the rock may not have been enough for a proper cycle.

I never had a huge spike with mine. I didn't add shrimp or ghost feed either. I used cured LR from various suppliers (globally). Mine "cycled" for 6 weeks. The readings were barely off of zero, but I waited until they showed nothing. Had it tested by a REPUTABLE chemist and he said my tank was ready. (Worked for the Aquarium here in Atlanta)

Sometimes people have "soft" cycles and others can be the kind we all read about. Just take your time, it will happen in its own way.

Ok my ammonia 0,nitrite 0,nitrate 5.0...
I had a question my water level has gone down if I add water will it mess up the cycle.

Ok my levels are at 0.,Ph 8.3,Cal 450.
im give it about one more week to be sure that the cycle is done..I hope by the end of the week I have my light.

I have a quick question my tank finish its cycle but it smells like the rock is not cure the water doesn't look that clear.i check my levels and There ok..what can be the wrong , that my water is not clear.

Could be a bacteria bloom clouding up the water. With all the die off on the liver rock, it is fueling bacteria to grow in the water. I would give it a few days to clear see if it clears up.

Back