CLR to clean your tank?

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I have been spraying my tank for about 4 days and letting it sit using white vinegar.

Just trying to remove the last bits of calcium.

So I was just poking around and have seen many forum saying CLR is safe. The posts say that CLR is biodegradable and the water makes it safe as if the water de-activated its somehow. I guess the label says this.

Anyone use it? I would be to worried but there are plenty places saying it is ok and you need to rinse well.

Oh but I did read someone say the vinegar will ruin your seals but I hope not because I got it on mine many times. The seals are think on the 220.

I suppose anything is safe to use assuming you get it throughly out of the tank prior to putting anything of import in there, however CLR is pretty caustic. I'd be very cautious.

+1 x19....I'm wary of chemicals like that...look at the ingredients and research before doing it.

I've never had issues using vinegar to clean out equipment. I would think if you're scrubbing too hard on the sealants, then I could see it causing problems.

If I were to use it, it would be a small amount and not sprayed all over. More of a target application.

I had pressure washed the tank to start. I avoided the seals.

I sprayed the rest of it down for 3 days straight but I had to spray the seals because some of the stuff is in the corners and on the overflos. I do not plan to scrub the seals but I can say the calcium went from purple to white.

I am hoping it flies off with the pressure washer today as I soaked it this morning before work.

I will also get some razor to chip away at it. It is a pain to get some power behind it. The front is as clean as it gets.

I have a powerhead that points around the back of my current tank and it gets purple on it but the front does not. Bot have the same flow.

I cant believe that after all the soaking, hosing and scrubbing that your tank is still dirty! I have alway found that really hot water got of anything. I would run water through the coffee maker to get it super hot and then pour and scrub I cant imagine needing to use CLR

dampen a rag with RO water and vinegar, then toss it in the microwave for a minute.. this should remove any remaining buildup, calcium, and dried algae. be careful though, the rag will be extremely hot. You can do this with a household sponge after cleaning dishes! great way to remove grease and kill off any growing bacteria! Give credit to my aunt who is an RN, they do this in hospitals to sterilize their sponges.

Back