Cleaning dead rock?

Kevinguyen

Reefing newb
So,ive just recieved some rocks that came from a dried up tank. How should I clean and cure this? Ive been told to bleach the rocks...But, I dont have any bleach. Is there any other way? Right now its just in a water cooler filled with tap water.

Do you know if the rocks were in a tank that was ever treated with copper medication?

I wouldn't bleach them. If they are dry, then I would take them outside, hose them off real well, and put them in your tank.

Do you know if the rocks were in a tank that was ever treated with copper medication?

I wouldn't bleach them. If they are dry, then I would take them outside, hose them off real well, and put them in your tank.
I do not know if the rocks were treated in copper medicine. The rock has green stuff on it which is probably algae. Its very hard to scrub some of the stuff off the rock like algae and stuff,so maybe i should just let it be. What should I do?

If you can scrub it with a heavy duty brush, do so. But you may not have any luck getting it off. If that's the case, then just put it in your tank, and deal with it once it's wet.

I use bleach on old rock but it seems like it then takes forever to cycle even though I used a ton of dechlorinator. From now on I may boil rock but I am not sure it will kill red turf algae.

Back