Cleaner shrimp #2

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
I lost another cleaner shrimp:frustrat:This was the second one in 1 month. Ever since I got my fire shrimp both of my cleaner shimp died. I don't know if he is the culprite or not:frustrat: Any ideas?

What are your nitrates at? How much does your temperature vary over a 24 hour period? What kind of fish and inverts do you have in your tank? I don't think the fire shrimp would kill the cleaner shrimp...

What are your nitrates at? How much does your temperature vary over a 24 hour period? What kind of fish and inverts do you have in your tank? I don't think the fire shrimp would kill the cleaner shrimp...

I will check my nitrates when I get home. I don't think my temperature varies that much, however, I did do a water change yesterday but I am sure the temps were the same. I have to black clowns (one is really aggresive, her name is "bitch":D) I also have a yellow tang. A few snails and some hermits. The cleaner shrimp wasn't very big. Could an aiptsia take down a small cleaner shrimp? I have a few aiptasia's that are a little bigger than 1" wide:frustrat:

you are sure it was dead and not a molt? I have though several ties that the molt was a dead one. Sorry for your loss.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

if the aiptasia killed it it would have eaten it as well, I am going to blame something else.

how much bigger is your fire shrimp?

how soon did the shrimp die? How did you acclimate, shrimp are very sensitive to water conditions PH, nitrates etc

if the aiptasia killed it it would have eaten it as well, I am going to blame something else.

how much bigger is your fire shrimp?

how soon did the shrimp die? How did you acclimate, shrimp are very sensitive to water conditions PH, nitrates etc

There was no way this aiptasia could have eaten the shrimp. It's not big enough, but I quarentee it is big enough to sting it to death. It was laying right below the aiptasia.

Also, there was no wounds so the fire shrimp couldn't have did it. If the fire shrimp would have killed it, I am sure it would have eaten it, but it didn't.

I'm a little late,I know

I just don't think a fire shrimp would or could ever kill a cleaner.I've been keeping both species now and did the same over 8 years ago.Look elsewhere and I'm sure aiptasia couldn't of done it either.Shrimps do have tough exo-skeletons,maybe you are looking in the wrong place.Maybe its a water quality/parameter issue.Something like iodine,calcium level,salinity changes etc.I have read that iodine helps promote molting,too much and they molt to often(bad) and not enough iodine not allowing them to molt.

The only thing that will kill a cleaner is some kinds of fish,mantis, or pistol shrimp.If it isn't one of them then check parameters.

I agree with Freak... I tend to think it's something in the water too. Shrimp are some of the most sensitive animals when it comes to water parameters.

Back