cleaner crew on a cycling tank

Justinthereefer

this is bat country
I am just starting a 55 gallon fowlr tank but have every intention on making it a reef tank. I have ten lbs of indo-pacific and eight pounds of fiji live rock. I also have twenty pounds of live sand. It has been going about two weeks and has a diatom bloom problem. The rocks have some green and alot of purple coraline algae. I want to know is it okay to put about five blue leg hermits and a couple mexican turbo snails in there to help clean as the cycle goes on? Help is greatly appreciated.

If you still have ammonia and nitrites, then no, the inverts will probably die. If your cycle is ending, then it's okay. Keep in mind there isn't anything that really eats diatoms -- they go away on their own after time. You can get some nassarius snails and conchs to stir up the sand that will make the sandbed look nicer, but they won't actually eat any of it.

+1 Biff
Also, you should get more rock, at least 1 lb/gal. Just let the cycle happen, inverts are more sensitive to foul water than fish most of the time.

Thats another problem i want to be picky about the rocks i get so it is taking longer than i would like so my tank will probably take forever to cycle. i already put two freshwater mollies in there and they love that big tank for just the two of them, rude awakening for them in a few weeks.

When I used to have Diatom outbreaks it always seemed to be from not having enough flow. Not that Diatoms aren't a completely normal problem, but that could easily be the source of it. So I'm wondering what you have for flow in your tank?

+ 1 Biff on the clean up crew.
On your rock.When you find a rock you like,just make sure its cured good and you shouldnt have any problems with it causing another cycle.Just set up one of those rubber maid totes with a powerhead and heater,then when you get a new rock,put it in the tote for a few days just to make sure theres no die off that could foul your tank water.

Back