clam

nudy6969

RUSTYS BROWN DOUGHNUT
is it possible to have a clam survive under 5 watts of pc lighting? if i put it high up what would the chances of it surviving be? i was thinking of a corcea clam in a cupple of monthes.

Yeah Altohombre put one in his tank and is having problems with it. Think they need a mature tank to be kept effectively

Clams dont really need perfect water to survive.But they have to have stable parameters and high light.
Most clams will do good in a tank with some nitrates since they will filter it out of the water for food.
But under 5 watts of light,I wouldnt try it.

define your idea of "survive"? A clam might live, but get stressed out. when that happens, it will lose its brilliant coloration, which is why we buy them. they tend to brown out, much like SPS corals and slowly die off. I bet you could keep one alive for even several months, but it would likely lose color, even if kept high toward the lights, which is the only real chance you would have to keep it thriving

-Doc

My tank is 3 months old. I've taken the LR out twice and scrubbed it. Had the lights off for a week. A couple nights ago I realized that what I thought was a dead clam shell stuck to the the rock was actually alive! I have at least two clams in there. Both stick these two little white antennae-like things out of the shell when they're open. Clams are phyto-plankton filter feeders right? Got a 10K actinic bulbs

Back