can I save my Hammer?

fastzorro

Reefing newb
Hi Folks

Have a new tank, 5 weeks old with established rock and sand. The pet store owner sold me a nice size hammer and a mushroom looking thing that opens up in the light. After 3 weeks they are both still alive but looking not to healthy. Most likley because its such a new tank (45 gal). Is there anything I can add to keep them alive untill the tank establishes enough to sustain them?

What are the numbers? Good means different things to different people. Also what kind of lighting because 200w of T5, PC, and MH are all different.

Have 2, 1.5" tangs and 2, DSCF0840.webp

DSCF0841.webp 1" clowns

That's a torch coral, and a toadstool leather.

Do you have the torch in a high-flow area? It doesn't like high flow. It may take the leather more than a few weeks to open up -- they adjust to being moved very slowly...

Also, your tank is too small for any type of tang.

The torch is not in a high flow area, the leather had been opening up 3 times the size it is now but stopped 3 days ago and only opens up to this size. The tangs are ok for right now but I know, I will have to orphan them out in the near future.

????? Shed?

P.S. I have twice the filtration needed for this size tank. The store owner said with that I would be able to keep the 2 tangs..??

Stores exist to make money. The filtration has nothing to do with the ability to keep tangs. They like lots of open swimming room and they get large.

For the tangs, it's not an issue of filtration, it's swimming space. They are very active fish, have a high metabolism, and just need a lot of room.

Leathers will shed their outer skin once in a while. During that time, they shrivel up and look like crap. It usually takes a week or two for them to get back to normal.

Sooo, if it does show signs of life its ok? Any signs of it being sick? And back to my first question, is there anything I can put in the tank to supplement it until the tank becomes fully established?

With the torch, you want to watch for the flesh receding, and it staying closed. You also want to keep an eye out for a brown colored jelly or slime. Those are all signs that the coral is sick.

Back