Blackout

Waddi

Shenanigans?
So i have had enough of seeing random spots of hair algae, im going to do a blackout, making sure no light gets in. But will my corals survive the three days??

Yes, your corals will survive. But instead of doing a blackout, you should test your water and find out where they are getting the fuel to grow. More important first.

Annoyingly i dont have phosphate test! *Bangs head off desk*
So, going to do a array of tests apart from phosphate.. :roll: The one i need!!! Argh

I dont think you will get a reading with a phosphate test. Algae is so efficient at removing it from the water column, you arent going to get a reading unless you have an extreme amount. I would just guess that it is there and act accordingly.

Blackout has commenced, hope all my corals and fish will be fine. Im thinking of doing this for 3 days, im taking bets on whether it will work or not. Thoughts??

Make sure you do a water change. Otherwise, all the decayed algea will just feed new algea.

Also, it might take more than three days to even start killing off the algea.

Brian

Thats what i thought, but didnt want to put the fish or corals through more than three days of apocalypse! Haha

The sun doesn't always shine in the ocean ;) there are many cloudy days.

But I agree that you should find out what is causing your algae. I forget, do you have a fuge or an algae scrubber?

Make sure that you keep the fuge light on. You dont want to kill off the algea growing in there.

I have kept my lights off for a week straight. Nothing got hurt. Just slowly increase the lighting about an hour a day or so just so you dont shock the corals. Also did a water change every other day. To keep the nutrients down.

+1 beej...I keep mine on 24/7. Is your chaeto growing? When mine stopped growing, algae started growing in my DT. but once I finally got my chaeto to grow, i don't get any algae whatsoever.

Back