Beckett Injection Skimmer

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
Beckett's suppose to be very good skimmers.They take some fiddling to get the correct air in,water in and water out.I believe maintenence and noise is it's biggest achilles heel.Something with having to clean the injector nozzle.MRC does make skimmers that get good reviews on the bigger board.

Which do you guys think would be a better skimmer for a newbie. An octopus NW200 recirc or the MRC-2 twin beckett injection with all the listed mods? I want what will be the best choice of the two in your opinion. Fatman where are you when I need you?

I don't know what skimmer would be best for a newbie but I would get the MRC.I'm sure you are getting it way cheaper than the $400 asking price for it on their website....and thats without a pump.I'm so anti-maintenance when it comes to cleaning skimmers that I went with a Lifereef.,IME,the best low/no maintenance skimmer on the market that actually works great.

The pump is 319
Skimmer is 325
Upgrade 275
919 total to buy new I can get it for 450 we have settled on.

Ive done some reading up on becketts and some love them some hate them it seems like the T5 vs MH neverending arguement. I just need it to work well without too much fussing with it as I am out of the house for 4-5 days at a time for work. Janell will handle the feeding but I will have to do maintenance on the weekends when Im home. I just dont want something to get out of whack on Monday and have to wait until Friday to get it fixed.

Its pretty much the same I've read-some people love 'em and some don't.

Like I said,if you really want a set it and forget it skimmer then check out the Lifereef skimmer.Read the top of this link...at first I didn't believe a skimmer could work well without constant fiddling until I got this skimmer.I was so use to having to clean out pumps,ventari,nozzles.

http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html

You have to click on ''Lifereef products'' then ''Protein skimmers''

They look good too Reef. Well I have until Monday afternoon to decide if I want the Beckett. More info please if anyone has any.

I owned several custom made commercial Beckett type filters over 7 years ago and I even made a couple. They were not as nice or as compact as the MRC. It appears to be a great piece of equipment. All of mine worked good, but took some large pressure type pumps to operate when their were not a lot of pump manafactures to choose from. I think needle wheel skimmers are more efficient and a lot quieter than any of my older becketts. The photos look like real Beckett foam jet heads meaning it probably still requires a large pressure rated pump. As status symbol the MRC has my vote, in a practical since the custom or better lines of needle wheels have my vote. I have seen photos of needle wheel skimmers with eight needle wheel pumps where the skimmer was around eighteen inches in diameter. Best bang for your buck is with a needle wheel. I believe some of the better skimmer makers are using custom made nozzles that do not have to be cleanednear as often as the Becketts. MRC would be smart to copy their switch to different nozzles. It is obvious MRC knows of the problem as they provide a second ready to go beckett head and it looks like most of their engineering revolves around providing easy cleaning access to the beckett head. No remedy just incresed capability for a quicker temporary fix again and again and again. Did you know a beckett head is a water fountain foam jet head. It produces that striaght stream of foamy water that shoots straight up out of fountains. The ones they make dance to different heights. Them is some real pumps pushing all them beckett heads.

Last edited:
I did a ton of research on skimmers before I bought mine. If you are willing to spend $450 on the MRC, I would suggest the Octo MSX200 for $350. This skimmer is plug and play out of the box and from all I read, it is by far the best skimmer available, dollar for dollar. They are out of stock now, but are supposed to be available in early April.
I have the Octo NW200 and for $200 it's an awesome skimmer.

Octopus is now all cell cast construction. Nice. It is about time. They are getting closer to justifying their costs. Not yet there, but getting there. I doubt their capacity claims, but almost, if not everyone, over cliams their capacities. I think the materials and workmanship in the MRC much, much better. I think the noise level and wattage advantage of the Octopus better. However I see the Octopus not worth a $100 more than a Turboflotor 1000, which it is comparable to. If the sale price was a standard price I could see a better value in the Octopus but for now, a sale undeliverable is not a sale, which makes it overpriced. For the prices involved I would buy two Coralifes 125's or 220's, or even two Turboflotor 1000. If it was a alleged 300 or 400 gallon Octopus at full price or the MRC cheap I would get the MRC. Now the regular non recirculating needle wheels I think are a good price, and now that they are cell cast I believe them a better buy than a Turboflotor or Coralife. I would definitely rather have two of them rather than the MRC or the Octopus recirculating needlewheels. Just my opinions though. No supporting data, to offer. The only experiences I have had with the above skimmers is the Turboflotors of which I own quite a few. I have had no problems with them, their pumps or their needle wheels. My only objections to them is their high price and partial use of extruded acrylic, where cell cast could have been used, and their directions are poorly written. Otherwise I have experience with some Becketts, not MRC in particular, and no personally know others with Coralifes.

Last edited:
Back