ASM 1GX Skimmer Question

avery155

Reefing newb
I have just finished building my refugium/sump area and it has passed the leak test! Now my question is. The part in question would be the 90 degree fitting that goes from the pump to the bulkhead on the skimmer itself. The 90 elbow is very loose where it goes to the skimmer and very thight where it goes to the pump. What should I do about the loose fitting. I would rather not glue that, could I wrap it with teflon tape and hope for the best? I don't think that is going to work because it is too loose. I am afraid that I am going to have to glue it arn't I?

It's supposed to have a rubber grommet that makes a tight seal. It's a black grommet that's about 1/2" thick and it's contoured to the shape of the skimmer body. Do you have it?

Yes that grommet is there that is what i was calling the "bulkhead" The grommet or bulkhead that is part of the skimmer body is tight and looks fine. It is the 90 degree pipe that connects to that part of the skimmer that is loose.

Ahh! Sorry, I misunderstood. On mine, I just pressed it on as tight as I could and I've been trouble free. I've never seen anyone glue them. You will want to be able to get it apart to clean and every time I put mine back together the placement is a little different so I need that joint to be able to rotate a bit. If you just force it on as tight as possible, is it coming apart when you run it? If not then I'd say leave it as it is.

I'm slowly in the process of buying everything so I do not know if it will come off when it is running. It seems like a lot of water would leak out. Maybe I will try some teflon tape and pushing it on a bit harder to see if that makes it any tighter.

If it's loose enough that water can come out then it sounds like something is wrong. Teflon won't help since it's not threaded. If pushing it together tighter doesn't work I'd consider taking it back as it sounds like it might be defective. It should be like any other PVC joint where you can push it together snug and it will hold without glue. You only need glue when the joint has to hold pressure but since the skimmer is not pressurized no glue is necessary.

Back