Am I feeding enough?

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
All I currently have are a Christmas Wrasse, a false Perc, a royal gramma, and a Golden Head Sleeper goby. All seem to be doing fine except the goby. He is skinny.....I mean aneorexic looking. I am feeding about a cube every other day for these four fish. they all eat, including the goby, which sifts sand and eats frozen readily. I can't understand why he's so skinny. My purple firefish goby did the same thing and eventually died. I mean he's eating alot, but maybe I should be feeding a cube daily, or half a cube twice daily or something?

Those gobies need whats living in the sand bed to be able to survive.If theres not enough of the bugs and stuff in the sand,they'll eventually starve even though they readly take frozen.

That may well be my problem then. I thought as long as they were eating frozen they'd be fine. I've always been convinced I don't have a huge deal of pods etc. in there, don't ask me why, I'm just not convinced. I never see critters booting around at night anymore, and I never find any on the glass. I don't have a fuge either, so I'm not sure what to do. Any chance I can breed critters in my 6 gallon I have lying around?

You probably once had a decent amount of fauna until the sleeper consumed most of it.I say go for a whole cube a day and keep an eye on the parameters.

What are you feeding?

Mysis and Emerald Entree sounds about right.Like my anthias,I've read that they really should be fed multiple times per day.

I've tried to keep a gold-headed sleeper many,many years ago in a 75 gallon.Like yours,it ate frozen but they still got thinner and thinner til it died.I learned that there were never going to be enough natural foods in the sandbed to keep one longterm.

My goby used to eat a piece of krill.
Yote is right, the goby needs the stuff in the sand to survive.

I lost my sand sifter due to starvation....even with the krill feedings.

Back