Aiptasia!! Oh Nooooo!!

DAvis

Reefer Madness
Well I've done it. Just picked up a little Zoanthus frag that came with a little Aiptasia. The frag is small, and I was thinking of removing it from the water, and either breaking off the rock that it resides on, or torturing it with hot water and pulling it off. I don't have access to syringes or aiptasiaX until tomorrow. I don't get my peppermint shrimp (2) until next week, so I don't think I should wait for them.

I think I want to attack it today, and I think the Zoa's can handle a few minutes out of the water. Any suggestions? Lecturing is permitted, because we deserve it!

If you can take a hammer and chisel and bust that part of the rock off, that would be quick and easy. Hot water probably won't work (I speak from experience, unfortunately). If you can't chisel it, then get the Aiptasia X tomorrow. It will still be there :)

Thanks Sarah! Have hammer will travel! I am proceeding almost immediately, as the little bugger has moved a little, and I think it stung my Florida Fighting Conch! 'Conchy Joe' was cleaning on a rock, touched in the vicinity of the Aiptasia, and tumbled of the rock to the sand below! He laid on his back for a moment, shook it of and continued on his way, 'fightin' mad!

OK, I think I was successful with the frag fragging. I definitely removed the piece with the Aiptasia, and I ended up with 3 pieces of zoas. They seem to be fine and no sign of any other Aip's. I should get my peppermint's tomorrow along with some tank-raised Nassarius to round out my CUC's. Will watch for more pests in the weeks to come. Thanks for your help!

Good to hear! It's a good habit to get into to do a quick once over of the tank once a day. Count all your fish, make sure any of your coral frags haven't fallen loose, glance over the rocks for pests. If you can eliminate them as soon as you spot them, you will never let them become an epidemic.

Good advice Sarah, currently we give the tank a once over about 30 times a day! I hope we continue to be this enthusiastic for years to come!

Some of us certainly can tell you about epidemics!
What happened in your tank David?!

Just a major outbreak of aiptasia that's all. I could use an entire bottle of Aiptasia-X and kill everyone I saw, but then within two weeks there would be just as many. I would say at least a thousand of them. I finally got some of those specialized nudis and so far they are keeping things in check. I still have some but not the outbreak I did have.

yea, i got my first aipstasia on my first zoa rock, actually i got 2 of them on that rock, i just aip-x'd them, and i havent seen another one since... gotta say, that stuff really worked....

I've read that the true peppermint, Lysmata wurdemanni, is the only one that will eat Aiptasia. Others are peppermint wannabee's :D, that will not even look at an Aiptasia. Maybe you have some of the look a likes? That or they are shirking their responsibilities!

I picked up our 2 peppermints and 8 or 9 Nassarius snails tonight! The Clean up crew is complete! Another few weeks and we'll start stocking. Woohoo!

I'm sorry! I was fortunate in that I just picked up a frag, and after acclimation, placed in the tank. Looking at it for the first time under my lighting I saw......IT!!! My wife suggested I just try to bust off the rock it was on, and I couldn't argue with the logic. So, I was 95% sure I got the whole thing, threw the little piece in the sink and down the insinkerator! Day 3, no evidence of any more. My plan was to get peppermints any way. Shop just got them so the timing was great!. Hopefully that will be that.

I hope you'll be able to beat the lil bastards yourself soon!

Back