Aiptasia issues

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Ok, I've got a 20 gallon aiptasia farm. I want to get my corals and my fish outta there. I've got several riccordea that are stuck to frag plugs. The plugs have aiptasia on them. How do I get the aiptasia off the frag plugs but not hurt the riccordea? What about the fish? Could he carry micro aiptasia and how would you get them off him?

Thanks,
Catherine

I wouldnt think any fish would transfer apstasia. Just dont take any of the old water just incase. As for the rics, I would try joes juice or something similar on the apstasia on the plug. It will be easier than treating the whole tank.

You could try getting your ricos to closeup then shoot the plugs with aip-x. Or since they're on a plug, try to get the ricos to release their foot with a butter knife. Not sure about the fish.

I've got 4 peppermint shrimp in there now. If I take out only the fish then I can stop feeding the tank and hopefully the peps will get hungry and start eating the aiptasia. I think I'll do that. I can QT him for a few days then put him in my newly filled 55. I really want those ric's and the xenia. I like the ideas mentioned here, dosing the plugs with Aiptasia X and trying to get them to let go. I'll think about the best way to try it. THANKS!

Catherine

With the rics, you might be able to take a sharp razor knife and cut them at the stem. They should reattach in a few days to a week in their new home and you might just get another one to grow in its place on the plug. They are a type of mushroom and are pretty resilient.

Brian

With the rics, you might be able to take a sharp razor knife and cut them at the stem. They should reattach in a few days to a week in their new home and you might just get another one to grow in its place on the plug. They are a type of mushroom and are pretty resilient.

Brian

Thanks, Brian, wouldn't that cut off their foot? They seem so delicate! That would be a great solution though.

Catherine

I would try Aiptasia X. You don't dose the whole frag plug, you just put the Aiptasia X right on the aiptasia. I've been using it on my majanos and it works amazingly. Much better than anything else I've ever tried. It's easy to use too.

I would try a combination of that and peppermint shrimp.

I'm getting peppermint shrimp for my aquarium for three reasons. It's the one shrimp that can be tank bred, it's a good cleaner (so I hear!!), and it eats Aiptasia. You just have to make sure you get the correct one, Lysmata wurdemanni. Others similar won't touch Aiptasia. (So I hear!)

When I get aptesia on a plug. I take a razor blade and cut the aptesia off. You just scrape part of the plug with it. I do know a guy if you come to the Madison frag swap in feb. that might have berghia nudis for sale.

Back