adding fish

as everybody knows im getting a bigger tank....a 125g tank....im thinking for my b-day, im a little confused in what order to put them in.i know from least agressive to most agressive:fechten2:....i have the list of fish i want to add, can someone please put them in order for me? its because idont know which fish is more agressive than the other:confused:...right now i only have a porcupine puffer, this is a reef tank but i only have coral and rocks!!! these are the fish that i want
  • coral beauty
  • flame angel
  • yellow long nose butterfly fish
  • foxface (2)
  • naso tang
  • blue hippo tang
  • power blue tang
  • yellow tang
  • bluechin trigger fish
  • niger trigger
  • sixline wrasse

I think you will be overstocked with so many big fish. They will be bumping into each other when they try to swim. And I think 2 foxfaces would probably fight, as would the coral beauty and flame angel.

This is how I would do it:
Butterfly
Foxface
Powder blue tang
Hippo tang
Naso tang
The two angels at the same time
Sixline wrasse
Yellow tang
Bluechin trigger
Niger trigger

+1 Biff...That's too many fish IMO..You're gonna need a bigger boat.

As the self proclaimed resident foxface expert, Biff is right again..You cannot put 2 foxface in 1 tank.

Here's a video from a LR member. He inherited a Foxface, and already had one....This is what happens. A day or two later he ended up removing one of them.

YouTube - New aquascaping

Last edited:
ok..sounds good... i dont know if im going to put all those fish in my list..i want them to have room...to swim...my concern is that they wont get territorial...

Chances are they will be selling those too...i don't think they are in there for a permanent home.....
Also,i've learned pretty quick that a 125 (or any 6 foot tank) really is not that big anymore....I wouldn't put more than 4 ,5 max, "big" fish in one....ie., triggs,tangs,large angels,foxfaces.....
JMO..

That's a good plan. It will look nice to have a variety of shapes and sizes in your tank.

Check out anthias -- a small school of anthias would be great in contrast with some large tangs.

Nothing wrong with fish only...and it really doesn't have to be FISH ONLY.....i have mushrooms,rics,cabbage leather,hammer coral,frogspawn,and duncans.....,but my angel has made snacks of a few things too,oh and my triggers too:grumble: .
My stock is :
Clown trigger
Humu/picasso trigger
koran angel
purple tang
2 ocellaris clowns
6 line wrasse
flame hawk

the problem is that when i get my bigger tank. im going to have to upgrade my lights...and im not going to have money after i buy a bigger sump..more rock....alot more water.:surfing:....im going to sale what corals i have and when my new tank is stable ..ill buy some corals..

i wen to pet store and they had 3 foxface in one tank..its was like a 200g tank..

You'll also see 10 clowns in 1 tank..it doesn't mean they'll be there in the morning. Stores have to do things different than reefers. they have a certain number of fish and a certain number of tanks. They have to sell fish, so if that means losing a few, that's the cost of doing business. But they've gotta have livestock in stock.

Depth is what matters... you could have the same lighting you have on your 55 over 1/2 the 125 and keep all your corals on that side just fine... as long as the depth is the same.

i sold some corals, i frag some off them an the rest i sold i got $93...i use that money to get closer to buying my bigger tank.... Picture 179.webp

Picture 178.webp

Picture 177.webp

Picture 176.webp

Picture 175.webp

Picture 174.webp

Picture 172.webp

I have a 150 with three "big" fish (a Niger, a Sailfin and a Tomini) and a few small fish (three clowns, a lawnmower, a sleeper goby and a Coral Beauty). And a snowflake eel (who we see when its dinnertime).
I wish we had more small fish. The three big guys are almost always together, at least two-thirds of my tank always looks "fish-less". We were thinking about some cardinals or anthias...

Back