Acrilic vs. Glass

Eldog

Reefing newb
I am in the process of making the transition from years of freshwater aquirium keeping to reef ecosystems. I am looking to purchase a 135- 150 gal. tank and I am interested to know the general consensus of glass vs. acrilic tanks. Scratching, I get it, but intuitively it seems like the heat folded front edges of an acrilic would have fewer joints likely to leak. Any input appreciated - newcomer, Eldog. TX.

Hello and welcome!

No contest -- pick glass over acrylic. Acrylic scratches very easily and in a reef system, it will get beat up by the sand and rocks in no time. There are very few people that use acrylic tanks for reef setups -- and the ones that do, usually wish they had gone with glass.

Tank leaks are pretty rare regardless of what kind of tank you buy. If you buy a tank new, most brands are under warranty for a while.

I am in the process of making the transition from years of freshwater aquirium keeping to reef ecosystems. I am looking to purchase a 135- 150 gal. tank and I am interested to know the general consensus of glass vs. acrilic tanks. Scratching, I get it, but intuitively it seems like the heat folded front edges of an acrilic would have fewer joints likely to leak. Any input appreciated - newcomer, Eldog. TX.
</p>Thanks for the advice, Glass it is. Any suggestions for good manufactures ? I like the idea of having an ironfree starphire - clear glass front. I read neumerous poor reviews on Glasscages.

I have Acrylic...Go with GLASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahaha.

My tank is a Lee Mar that I ordered through my LFS. I have no complaints so far. You are right that Glass Cages seems to be hit or miss. A red flag should be their very limited warranty. If someone can't warranty their product, especially something like an aquarium, I'd be a little bit scared!

My tank was given to me TruVu 55g so I guess beggars cant be choosers. If I was going to spend my coin I would buy glass:twocents:

Biff your right If a company cant or doesn't stand behind their product don't buy it.

</p>Thanks for the advice, Glass it is. Any suggestions for good manufactures ? I like the idea of having an ironfree starphire - clear glass front. I read neumerous poor reviews on Glasscages.

Lets see.There is Marineland,All Glass,Aqueon.If I'm not mistaken all those are from the same manufacture.Then there is Red Sea.Oceanic.

Honestly, I would go glass, but my main tank is acryllic and I actually have 0 scratches after 6 months. I really love this tank, its so clear and everything looks amazing. We will see how the next few years go!

Back