A few more questions

nensley

Reefing newb
I really hope I don't drive you guys nuts but I have a few more questions.

1-- I got a Prizm skimmer and I have one AquaClear 30 powerhead. I got rid of the airstone (thanks for the suggestion!!). I still have a Whisper filter. Do I need to upgrade my filter? If so, what do you all suggest? Also if I keep the current filter, how often should I change the white part (I am having a brain fart and cannot remember what it is called)?

2--I have the powerhead at the top of my tank, near the far left side, just at the surface of the water. It creates a nice ripple, but also a fair amount of bubbles in the water. Is that normal? Should I move it? I would post some pics, but I don't have a digital camera (I am stuck in the 90s, I know). Everything is on the back of my tank in this order--heater, powerhead, skimmer, filter.

3--Should I alternate the food I give them? I have 2 fish now--a blue Chromis and a Banggai Cardinal plus a brittle star, 2 peppermint shrimp and some crabs and snails. I am feeding formula 2 now.

4--My plans are for a fish only with live rock tank. Can you guys think of anything else I need right now?

Thanks again!! :D

dont be afraid to ask questions, thats what we are here for! haha

1. i personally would upgrade the filter because wisper just isnt really that good. you could go with an aquaclear 50, or you could go the marineland route, just be careful because the biowheel could be a nitrate trap.

2. Personally i would get one more powerhead and locate it on either side of the tank to give you a little more waterflow, and that may help with the bubbles as well. you can leave the one you have where it is

3. you can alternate but you dont have to

4. what kind of cleaner crew do you have (i know you said some crabs and snails, but what kind and how many)

dont be afraid to ask questions, thats what we are here for! haha

1. i personally would upgrade the filter because wisper just isnt really that good. you could go with an aquaclear 50, or you could go the marineland route, just be careful because the biowheel could be a nitrate trap.

2. Personally i would get one more powerhead and locate it on either side of the tank to give you a little more waterflow, and that may help with the bubbles as well. you can leave the one you have where it is

3. you can alternate but you dont have to

4. what kind of cleaner crew do you have (i know you said some crabs and snails, but what kind and how many)

Is a marineland a brand of filter?

I have 6 dwarf hermit crabs, 2 cerith snails and another snail that is really tiny. I am not sure what kind it is--it was on a piece of rock. Is that what you guys call a hitchhiker? LOL

Oh and another crab that looks like a little tarantula--it was also on a piece of rock. I don't know what it is called.

The Prizm might be enough for your tank. The Whisper filter is definitly not going to help much in my opinion, you could try taking it off altogether and not replace it and see if your water parameters stay okay using just the Prizm. If they start getting out of whack, then you could upgrade to a different filter type. If you keep the current filter, I'd change it out every week or two.

Air bubbles coming out of your powerhead isn't normal, I'd try cleaning it or repositioning it. A small amount of air bubbles is fine, you just don't want tons of them.

Formula 2 is a good food, if your fish eat it and like it, you don't have to switch, but adding variety is always a good idea.

I have a 30 gal tank with a wisper filter and a prixim and they both work fine on the tank. I would remove the filter pads or change them weekly or everyother week. If you change or clean them do one and then the other the next week because you might lose alot of bacteria. I only run my filter for more flow and do not use the pads. Yes anything that came on the rock is a hitchhiker, watch the crab though it could be harmful to your tank or he could be a good addition just depends on the type of crab.

It is good to mix the food up and give them a veriety.

The only thing I would add is one more power head. I dont think one would give you enough flow, but it just might.

If your power head is like mine you have a little black tube that is sucking air in the powerhead and injecting it to the water position it where that black nub is submergeg and the bubbles will go away,
Hope I helped out.

If your power head is like mine you have a little black tube that is sucking air in the powerhead and injecting it to the water position it where that black nub is submergeg and the bubbles will go away,
Hope I helped out.

Totally fixed it! Thanks so much!!:mrgreen:

Everybody else has got you pretty well covered.But I'll add this.
Go ahead and add one more powerhead ( I'd go for a maxi-jet 1200 ) and mount it down closer to the bottom and aim the nozzle up at the power head you already have.

PS
If you really want to see some cool stuff,use a flashlight with a red lense and see whats coming out of your rock at night.

I like to play with my clowns with a laser pointer.They go nuts when that little red spot hits on their anemone.

I really hope I don't drive you guys nuts but I have a few more questions.

1-- I got a Prizm skimmer and I have one AquaClear 30 powerhead. I got rid of the airstone (thanks for the suggestion!!). I still have a Whisper filter. Do I need to upgrade my filter? If so, what do you all suggest? Also if I keep the current filter, how often should I change the white part (I am having a brain fart and cannot remember what it is called)?Honestly,I would go ahead and run the filter empty for extra water movement.If you do run filter floss-change it out weekly so it doesn't become part of the biological filter.The best fiter setup is a sump/fuge but they can be quite expensive.

2--I have the powerhead at the top of my tank, near the far left side, just at the surface of the water. It creates a nice ripple, but also a fair amount of bubbles in the water. Is that normal? Should I move it? I would post some pics, but I don't have a digital camera (I am stuck in the 90s, I know). Everything is on the back of my tank in this order--heater, powerhead, skimmer, filter.

3--Should I alternate the food I give them? I have 2 fish now--a blue Chromis and a Banggai Cardinal plus a brittle star, 2 peppermint shrimp and some crabs and snails. I am feeding formula 2 now.I would alternate-try prime reef by Ocean Nutrition.

4--My plans are for a fish only with live rock tank. Can you guys think of anything else I need right now?You can run a successful system with enough live rock(1-2lbs per gallon)and skimmer

Thanks again!! :D

Good luck

Did you try the mod yet hawk?

Not yet.... I was going to do it the day my daughter glued her eye shut but we all know how that day ended. Its skimming well now (isnt that how it works you get a cool mod and the thing starts working well) so im gunna hold off for a while.

Back